[28] ● Rhythm Of Insurgence ●

Start from the beginning

There was his grey hoodie that Finley had put on last night before heading to bed.

Pens stuck between the cracks of the coach that Jonathan would wonder where he had left them when in class when having to ask Sarah for spares that he would then go lose again.

Even earphones that were tangled and placed on top of one of Finley's stack of books.

That Jonathan had put there after taking them out of his ear noticing Finley picking up a book namely 'Percy Jackson' that Jonathan had picked out for him one day claiming that all the books Finley read were depressing.

Putting his head in Finley's lap looking up at him expectantly as Finely noting as he began reading aloud again, 'The books I read aren't depressing they're real' but he could see where Jonathan was coming from at the time.

Shaking his head of the memory Finley picked up the children's book it's flashy cover sparking under the candle light.

~~~

They weren't getting any response no demands with x-ray vision being pelted down on them, so they made their way in.

Sending a team of ten in flanked by their superior officer, so eleven in total.

The walls were dark and peeling their night vision goggles only helping them so much, making them have to shuffle their feet on the floor to help find their way without tripping.

At this point they weren't even sure the suspect was still there, the only indicator of life being the still wet shoe prints on the floor that lead up to one apartment in particular.

The unidentified subject was there.

~~~

Finley like most times smelt something was amiss before he saw it

There was a change in the air, something dense and thick that reminded him of the smell of Morgan's fur coats like cigarettes which he always found odd since he never saw Morgan pick up one during their mandatory press outings or at home.

Something was burning, Finley knew he should have looked at the apartment boiler.

It always made a weird clunking sound when he turned on the hot tap.

But there isn't any smoke piling from the foot of his door.

Then he heard it, shuffling.

Rats possible but they were only on the lower levels; they usually never came by his apartment; it was too cold for them to shack up and multiply.

So why was the noise getting closer and closer, itching itself towards him.

A shadow fell over the windows around him a green hue passing though with little effort it's rays making Finley put down his book not bothering to dog ear the corner, the light was reminiscent of the sun though its effects were less intense and more prickling on his skin leaving it feeling like he had grazed it on concrete.

The noise was getting closer, louder and the light more intense.

Finley ducked behind his sofa pulling the hood of Jonathan's hoodie over his head snapping up when he heard the shuffling again at his front door.

Cursing himself for not locking it, looking under the crack of the door, shadows of boots stepped towards the front of his door.

~~~

They don't know why the thing beyond the door waited for them to come to it, allowing them to stake out outside of its home base.

Two of the ten soldiers upfront looked at each over silent hand gestures between them.