Trespassing

Rossiya Moretti POV

Carmel was the place Ellis moved us to and I honestly couldn't be happier. I had spent nights dreaming of when I could see the beach for myself and feel the sand between my toes. Although I couldn't be sure where the obsession with ocean views and sandy beaches came from, part of me thought it was linked to the memories I no longer had. I hadn't gotten anything more out of Ellis than he already told me; his response was always the same, "only one person can answer your questions and it's not me, but you will meet him soon."

Since then he's been 'on and off world' as he said. I had finally come to terms with my new predicament and I trusted him but not enough to devulge my own dark secrets. Another thing I loved about this city is there weren't any restless and malicious souls wandering around, at least none that I had encountered. The only souls I did meet either made only light conversation or ignored me completely; I couldn't be more thankful for the latter. On the downside however, my dreams had gotten worse. They were all distorted images and would lead to waking up with a splitting headache almost everyday.

I looked up at the clock, counting the seconds until school finally let out because I was planning on exploring the woods behind our house, I don't know what but something pulled me there. 5..,4..,3..,2..,1. The bell rang loudly and I hightailed out of class. No one was out to get me I know, but I guess after years of trying to outrun my tormentors I didn't know how else to do things.

I quickly rounded the corner and bumped into someone hard enough to send me flat on my butt. The pungent smell of the dead waffted up my nose; it was so strong that bile rose up my throat in the same instant. "Are you okay?" I would recognize that voice anywhere. Mr. Andrews. Quickly gathering myself I apologized, needing to get out of there fast but it was too late. I felt the vomit rising and lucky for me there was a trash can near by. I oh so graciously bent down and emptied the contents of my stomach, heaving and heaving until there was nothing left.

After I was done puking my guts out I just stood there trying to figure out how many people he had killed for it to be that bad. It took me a few minutes to collect myself and move on.

The moment I got home all I could do was pass out from the previous ordeal. When I woke up the sky was starting to color itself in orange and pink hues; looks like I slept longer than expected. Changing into something more comfortable I locked up and ventured into the woods behind my house. I hadn't even been waking for a long time but the scenery was beautiful; I could see myself coming here a lot in the future. The trees weren't heavily clustered so the light from the setting sun peaked through until it turned to dusk. I was so entranced by my surroundings that I almost missed the thing that moved in my peripheral vision. 'You're just seeing things Ross,' I told myself but the low growl that came from somewhere around me said otherwise.

I made a full 360 degree turn and if it weren't for my enhanced sight I would've never seen them. Two bright yellow orbs stared back at me, next thing I knew the quiet night was filled with the sickening sound of bones breaking. My feet moved before I could even even register the situation. It was times like these I was thankful for my inhuman speed but even that wasn't my saving grace. Whatever those things were were chasing after me and catching up fast.

A man suddenly jumped in front of me and for a moment I was thankful until the smell of him stopped me in my tracks. He didn't smell human, the strange smell wasn't the only thing clinging to him like a second skin, oh no. He smelled even worse that Mr Andrews, much much worse. In a flash he was in my face with a hand wrapped around my dainty neck.

"Who are you and what are you doing here?" Before I could fish for words I felt heat behind me. There were two of them? "Pl-please let me go, I didn't know this was private property I swear," a rough hand fisted my hair painfully making me cry out, "you can kill her," the thing behind me ordered, "but not before I have my fun. I don't know what you are little girl but a woman is a woman and for some reason you smell especially good."

Immediately those words left his mouth another hand groped my breast and started to play with it. Tears welled up in my eyes and I shook my head unable to speak, "I guess you're right." The first one used his free hand to trail down my belly and hooked his fingers in the waistband of my sweatpants. Everything after that happened so fast but at the same time seemed to slow down.

I felt an eerie sense of calm wash over me and next thing I knew my hand hand stopped his in it's tracks and black veins crept into it from me. He let out a chilling scream and passed out in the next instant. His friend had let me go but it was too late, one minute he was staring between me and his now dead companion and the next my hand was buried in his chest, closed around his frantic heart. With one swift tug I ripped it out and his body fell back.

After my life was out of immediate danger I seemed to have regained my sense of self but it was too late. Ellis was staring at me in pure shock as I stood between the now dead men. I dropped the heart and started to back away, ready to make a run for it.

"Rossiya wait!"
"I promise, I'm not going to hurt you, I've known about you this whole time, just please; let's go back."

I wanted to believe him, I should have but that woman's words floated through my mind again and I bolted. I hadn't gone far when my body left the ground. Panic set in, oh gods he's going to kill me. The fear from before was renewed as tears fell down my cheeks rapidly; "like I said, I'm not going to hurt you. If I put you down Rossiya do you promise not to run?"

I couldn't channel whatever power I had earlier and so I just nodded.