chapter 66.

lxvi.

Jeon Mira was certain she would only be focusing on her studies to get into a good college, but after allowing herself to get a taste of love she knew her life had only just begun.

At the beginning of the school year, the girl thought she would get into a relationship with her best friend, the former cotton candy-haired boy, but things didn't go as she hoped as fate had other plans.

Kim Sunoo had always been a close friend of hers. Those kind and caring actions he gave made Mira fall into a pit of false hope. Yet, she still believed they had mutual feelings. Sunoo began to entangle himself with a kind female classmate, Park Aerin. A girl that had a similar personality to Sunoo. She was kind, cute, and perfect in every way. A perfect match for someone like Sunoo.

Mira was devasted.

However, that emotion gradually faded after she met a boy one day, one that has a reputation not so different from hers. Mira befriended everyone in her grade, so it was evident she knew who each of their names was. The boy she met was Jungwon, someone she had seen a couple of times in the hallway but never actually had a decent conversation with.

Who would have thought that the connection she had with him would lead to something more? She had drawn a line by her feet, separating herself from her friends. Even though she was a social butterfly, she would not let anyone get too close, afraid her childhood would happen once more.

But Yang Jungwon crossed the line. Instead of being treated the same way she did when she was at primary school, everything Mira had been so insecure about Jungwon helped her go through it.

The more Mira thought about it, the resemblances between their stories were strikingly similar. Maybe that was why they had such an easy time understanding one another with whom one's experiences were identical. Their fate led them to create their own story.

Before they know it, that fluttering feeling they felt towards their own best friends had slowly withered. The cupid arrows were now pointing at each other.

Jeon Mira sat on a bench by the bleachers, viewing the students who were slamming shuttlecocks from one side of the court to another with their rackets. She was constantly twirling the racket between her hands, something she tends to do for no reason.

Today's physical education class had two classes combined: class 3-1 and class 3-3. A class that Kim Heeyoung was in. Mira had no problem with the girl, but judging from the way she created a scene a few weeks ago in the classroom was enough to not associate.

"Mi?"

Hearing the familiar nickname, Mira tilted her head up, viewing the same boy she had visioned in her brief daydream who towered over her. She hummed, silently begging her eyes to avert from his, but she had no power in doing so.

Yang Jungwon took the spot beside her as Mira's gaze never left his figure. She gandered at the boy, eyes trailing along the frame of his broad shoulders. She silently watched him take the plastic bottle from the floor, gulping down the liquid to satisfy his dry throat.

His cheeks were puffed, implying there was still water inside his mouth before he swallowed them with a gulp while screwing the bottle close. Jungwon turned to look at her, eyes glued on the hairstyle she tried for fun. His hand brushed a few strands away from her face. "Pigtails kinda suits you."

Mira allowed him to flick her left pigtail behind her shoulders, only for it to come back and slap her in the cheek. There was no doubt that Jungwon enjoyed teasing her. She playfully rolled her eyes and smiled, viewing her classmates once again.

"Maybe you should try it too, Won," She taunted, imagining her boyfriend with the same hairstyle. His soft dark locks would look good with two small sprouts above his head. Mira would definitely not let this chance pass if he let her. Might as well take a quick picture and set it as her wallpaper too.

Jungwon lightly chuckled, and Mira wasn't sure if he was laughing because he liked or disliked the idea. He didn't say anything else, only avoiding her gaze whilst drinking his water with an awkward sip.

The sound of a whistle pierced through the air as everyone stopped their activities and turned to their coach. The man announced that a short game of doubles will be played between four people. Two students on each side of the badminton court.

The coach called four names randomly from the class list, automatically making the rest spectators.

To Mira, the most entertaining game of badminton was when Choi Yunseo was partnered up with her sworn enemy, Kim Heeyoung. The girls had to play against two others.

Mira would be lying if she said she hadn't enjoyed it. Witnessing the girls needing to work together despite the hatred they shared was entertaining. They were very uncooperative. Zero coordination and teamwork. The first few rounds consist of them yelling and throwing insults at each other, which was awkward for their opponent who had to hold off their services.

"They're going to continue ripping each other's throats out if no one interferes," A student from class 3-3 had irritatedly spoken. "This game will never end if this keeps going."

It was funny. How Heeyoung purposely dodged the shuttlecock aimed perfectly at her at full speed so it would hit Yunseo in the face (who stood behind her) instead. The latter responded with a clench of her jaw as she slid her thumb from one side of her neck to the other while maintaining eye contact.

Surprisingly, they ended up winning the game. Jeon Mira recalled watching the two girls sending each other death glares after the game. If looks could kill, they would both be dead. "Come on. At least high five or something," Mira whispered which didn't go unnoticed by the Japanese boy beside her.

"Heeyoung has the 'that went well but I'd rather die than admit it' face, while Yunseo got the 'this bitch is glaring at me so I'm glaring right back' face," Nishimura Riki described only to earn a smack on the head from his words.

Four other students were called for the next round. From the corner of Mira's eyes, she spotted Jungwon playing with his phone. He was typing rather quickly with those thumbs of his before he paused to read a new text. A frown was displayed on his face before he send the message and exited the app, placing the phone beside him on the bench.

Mira sniffed. Even though she was dead curious, she chose not to snoop in his business. It looked personal too, and the last thing she wanted was to disrespect his privacy.

A hand laid on her shoulder. She turned her head at the owner, Jungwon, who had his eyes glued on her gym uniform. Specifically the shirt. He quickly shook his head as if getting rid of his thoughts before his hand moved across her clavicle, grabbing the other end of her jacket and zipping it up.

Mira stared at him, finding him staring back. So Jungwon was the type of boyfriend to care about his partner's image and cover skin that shows? Mira quirked an eyebrow at this information. She opened her mouth to speak if it wasn't for a sudden ding! to interrupt the moment.

Jungwon's phone lit up, a notification from Instagram making its appearance. What caught her attention, however, was the picture he had set as his lock screen. No doubt the girl was seeing herself sitting on the couch. In her arms was a white Maltese dog who was snuggling himself against her cheek. A bright half-grin was on her face as her chin was tilted up slightly from the dog's licks.

Another notification popped up from Instagram and Mira examined the male's expression. A bothered huff was produced from him before he grabbed the device and shoved it inside his pocket, clearly dismissing the message.

Now she couldn't help but wonder what he read for him to act this way.

a/n; firstly, I want to apologize for the lack of update this past two weeks. writer's block has been a bitch and it was just yesterday when I finally came up with something.

holidays had started, but being a senior brings extra studying. I will try to manage my schedule so do be patient with me </3

p.s. this chapter is kinda messy is it?