Authors note and trigger warnings

Hey people! 

So, this is my fifth book. Wow that feels amazing to say that. I've actually written 4 whole books. 

Anyways back to this one. So you've read the blurb and hopefully you're excited right? Good. So what's this one about, well I've moved back into the mystery/thriller genre but this is more of a why did they do it than a who did it kind of book.

This one is also much more character driven and we'll explore each of the two main characters' personalities and struggles as we go through the book. I want to preface this by saying that there is a plot but we'll be using a lot more dialogue and flashbacks to develop character. Also this is a very different book than my previous one.(Hurting and Deserting, which you should definitely check out (; ) 

Just a few quick things to tell you all:

1. This is set in the US so while I will try to use American dialect, I am not American so if I make a mistake or I use a British word instead of an American one that's why (for example if I use tap instead of faucet).

2. This book will be from 2 points of view.

3. I am writing this book as I publish it so if there are continuity errors I will do my best to fix them.

4. I am also terrible at editing so if you see a spelling mistake don't be afraid to point it out and I'll correct it.

and finally 5. I am not an expert in any of the topics I am discussing. I have never had to suffer through the things these characters have so if I misrepresent these things I am sorry. I simply wanted to raise awareness that writing about these topics and glorifying or brushing over them is not ok. I am not going to do this. I promise.

There are going to be trigger warnings but first I want to introduce you to our main characters. I'm not cool enough to have aesthetics or pictures of my characters so I'm going to use Harry Potter characters to give you a visual image to imagine while reading about these characters.  

So lets meet them!

Roman: 

Roman is the character who we follow in all of the odd numbered chapters. He is the one who takes the blame for the murder. He also doesn't act selfishly and he is a very generous person. 

He does give a physical description but if you want a character to imagine then think of Harry only without the scar and with brown eyes instead of green also much more broad and not as small as Harry.

I don't explicitly say this at the beginning of the book but I do think that Roman is the older of the two as he is much wiser than Connor and he is very quick to jump to defend him.

Connor:

Connor is the character we follow in all of the even numbered chapters. Connor is the murderer. We are reading this book to work out why he killed Roman's ex and to see him discover himself. Connor is a very mysterious character and we learn more about him as the book goes on. All you need to know at the start is he's arrogant, cocky and selfish. 

As he and Roman are identical twins the description for his looks is the same as Roman's.  

Kailin: 

You'll discover who Kailin is but for a physcial description think Luna Lovegood. I don't want to say too much about Kailin's character so we'll leave it there.

Chris or Mr Raklowski:

Chris is Roman and Connor's foster dad. He is an abusive parent and we do see this in the book through flashbacks as well as in the present day. He is not someone to take any kind of advice from and he is not here to act as a plot device. Also I assure you his abuse will not go unpunished as this is something I hate about books. Abuse is never something to be glorified and it should never be unpunished or brushed over. 

That's it for major characters, the rest you'll meet in the book. Now for a few trigger warnings (these will be updated regularly and I'll mention any updates in my announcements):

Swearing (this is in almost every chapter but especially in Connor's chapters)

Verbal abuse (this is rather mild most of the time but it can be bad in some parts, especially during flashbacks)

Physical abuse (this is in 2 scenes, Chapters 9 and 11 specifically) There are references to this in several chapters especially towards the end.  

Murder (this is a mystery/ thriller so I don't know what you were expecting)

Guns (this is only in the first few chapters and only in Connor's chapters)

Foster care (this isn't really a huge trigger but I thought it was worth mentioning)

That's all for now. If any of the above things are triggering to you, do not read this book. Check out one of my others instead. Or some of my wonderful friends books, you can find some recommendations in my book Each of us has a story to tell :) 

Your mental health is important so please take care of yourself. If you need to give up on this book at anytime I won't be offended, please put yourself first. 

With all that done I hope you enjoy I made this choice. Please don't forget to vote and leave comments. Your support will always be appreciated. Happy reading!

Craftychicken x