Chapter Eighteen - The Japanese Forward Psychic Unit

October 16th, 2028

Weather: Rainy

The next morning

"So that's your decision then..." Alfred took a pause in his words. Silence filled the room. Nothing but the buzzing of the computers and the lights from above. It was like the world even stopped to think about the decision too. "I'll let them know."

He tapped slightly on the keyboard as he wrote the decision into email. "Everyone was at least in agreement with you, yes? It's good that your team has your back." He then turned in his chair to face her. "So, when they arrive, you won't have a choice but to go with them. This was your last chance to leave for a better life, you know?"

Yuki nodded, "We all sort of knew that we would be moved elsewhere." She took a few more steps towards him. "So they'll be here later today then...everyone should have their stuff ready. I already feel though...we won't be really needing our stuff after this point, will we?"

Alfred shook his head. "Can't guarantee that you'll need it. You'll probably have to get rid of your belongings, or have someone take care of them." His eyes then focused back on the monitor. "Your team will be subject to training. Possibly fast-paced VR training."

"VR training...much like how you've tried to help us with training..." Yuki looked down at the floor, lost in thought for a moment. It did make sense that they would train them. However...it doesn't seem like they were supposed to be sent into active duty.

"Alfred...I want to ask one thing before I leave."

"Oh, what might that be Yuki?" He looked back at her, ready to answer what she had in mind.

"Was all of this training for the military? Or...was it really just to research us?" It was an honest question to him. Alfred could only sit there as he internally debated if he should answer that or not. There were no lies here. "It. It was to collect combat data, but also to train you all. For if you needed to go into active duty. It's...unfortunate that the hidden clause of this wasn't printed in that form you had to sign."

Yuki frowned. "I see. So...if this never happened, likely after a point we'd finish our training regime and then be sent on our way?" She then turned her body slightly. "Our role was simply to be guinea pigs..."

"I'm afraid so. I'm sorry that it had to be this way. The...government doesn't consider psychics as free people." He gave her a slight smile, trying to lighten up a little. This only caused her to scoff.

"Goodbye then, Alfred. I'm going back to my dorm, and this is probably the last time I'll see you." She said as her eyes gazed about the room. Despite her new dislike towards those that worked behind the scenes...she felt like there was little attachment to the place.

As she turned around, she could hear Alfred stand up and then walk to her. Turning to look at him, her eyes fell to his hand, which was outstretched. "Yuki. Thank you. Even if you had to leave like this, I want to thank you for at least trying to do what was asked of you."

His sincerity was true. She could feel that he genuinely tried to help her at one point. Yuki smiled slightly and then shook his hand. "I know I have truths in mind that could never be removed...but you were a good person."

Letting go, she turned around and walked out.

"You know what you already know now...godspeed." He said as he watched her leave. He then sighed and turned back to his computer. He let out a calm breath and then shook his head. "If only I could tell you the whole Truth...Yuki." He opened his messenger and started to message his boss. Kioku.