Operation Hoplite: The First Chance to Change

T/W - Depictions of violence, intense moments

Chapter Thirteen, Operation Hoplite

9:57 PM

"We are good to go ahead of schedule."

"Roger."

"Listen up my dear birds, we're on our way to another target we've been assigned to. Our lovely leader gave us the go ahead to attack this next psychic owned facility. It's known as Rose College...or that's how it is known as. Many of you who have been recruited from the last war might recognize this place...Aiko Base. An experimental facility that developed mostly all the technology we have now, while acting as a college."

Silence.

"Well, aren't you going to ask why we're attacking such a top secret landmark? No? Well, we're the Sekai after all. We're on no one's side, so I really hoped you all chose well in your recruiters. Now, get out there and approach the base with full stealth coverage. Shoot to kill are our orders, so let's give them the drop."

The doors blasted open, all the soldiers went running out, fast, but very quietly as their uniforms and boots had been modified to output little sound. The man watched as they ran to their fate. This wasn't an operation they would win, he knew what they were getting into. His eyes focused on the grounds ahead of them, sensing the hidden artifact there. "Sister...this will be our first meeting" he said gently, before looking at his pad. He could see the snipers already in position, "You may fire when our other men are just before the gates. Please target the guards and any personnel on duty."

With that order, they began. Set up on the hills about 500 meters before the base, scopes and rifles pointed down. "Some of them are just kids, are you sure we should be doing this?" One of the men asked, before he was kicked in the back. "It doesn't matter, just do your job. They've all been declared enemies of the country." Reluctantly nodding, they peered down the scope.

Within, the holographic lenses gave them all the information they needed to know. "Wind Speed is 5 kilometers an hour...adjusting..." they spoke to themselves, before settling on a target. Doing his last final adjustments, they held themselves still and breathed in, before letting out one last breath. "God have mercy on your soul."

---

The moon was high in the sky, illuminating the ground below. The noises in the city were the usual, cars were moving about, business as usual. Many of the denizens just arrived at their apartment complexes. None of them knew what was going to happen...except for those that prepared. The night began, with a crack out of the dark. A shot taken at one of the students, just like that, the first strike was taken.

A loud noise in the distance rang out, with a noise of someone falling to the floor, "Shit that was close, you ok Arsan?" Between the man's words was silence, "Arsan?" he asked again, before looking at the wall. He saw blood pouring out of his friend-Arsan's uniform. "AR!" They shouted as he grabbed Arsan and pulled them away. Within seconds, they heard gunfire ring out in the distance. "They've already begun their attack..." they said under their breath. Slowly, they picked him up and carried him across the lawn and into a hall nearby. As he was walking, the gates to the east blew open, and in came multiple people.

' Each was dressed in all black, wielding a shield and a rifle of some sort. Within moments, they already stormed onto the lawn, shooting at anyone who didn't hide and have their weapons ready. Behind them, stepped forward a familiar face, he looked about the field and smiled. "Sister, oh sister...where are you?" Walking just behind the storming force of the east, he carefully pulled out a revolver.

Relishing in it's design, a rose carved into it's metal body, he chambered 6 rounds into it. Closing it back up, he started to walk. "Now the hunt begins."