??? | 11:30 ᴘᴍ
[Aᴅᴀᴍs ʜᴏᴜsᴇ | ᴍᴀɴᴅᴇʟᴀ ᴄᴏᴜɴᴛʏ]
ᴡᴄ- 713
!SUICIDE ATTEMPT WARNING!
------------------

—[Marks POV]----

I was asleep when I was woken by a noise. I sat up and rubbed my eyes, wondering what the noise was when I heard it again. it was a laugh. a laugh that was all too familiar to me.

it was the alternate version of Cesar.

my life flashed before my eyes and my breathing started getting heavy as I reached underneath my mattress and pulled out my gun.

I let out a yell as the door flew open. the alternate stood there laughing maniacally as if it was taunting me. my grasp on the gun got tight as I knew what I'd have to do.

I got out of bed and stood in the middle of my room. but should I call for someone? ...yeah this is going to be difficult to do. "Jesse!" I called out with my shaky voice. I sighed and stood straight. my mind was racing. wait, no, I can do this myself because I'm not going to let anyone down.

my hand was shaky as I pointed the gun at the alternate version of Cesar.. my best friend. I swallowed hard and looked away, trying not to think that this was the real Cesar. the real Cesar was dead.

I knew this was an alternate but I couldn't stop thinking about the real Cesar.

he was like my brother, he was my best friend! he helped me so much. I know he's dead, but why can't I kill the alternate?!

"YOU FUCKING BASTARD." I yelled, forcing myself to pull the trigger but my finger wouldn't budge. I grunted before trying again. nothing. my arms shook more and I had to grab my arm holding the gun to try to steady it, but I stopped.

I couldn't bring myself to do it but I had a thought. I couldn't bear to be in this world anymore.

when all the alternates are gone what's next? Cesar is dead.. Jonah is dead.. mom, dad, they're all dead! I don't even know if uncle Dave is still alive. nothing would be the same anymore, so why should I live? I feel so alone.

I slowly raised the gun to my head and pointed it at my temple. I squeezed my eyes shut and held my breath.

as I was about to pull the trigger when I heard a loud grunt and a thud.

"...Mark..?"

shit.

I opened my eyes slowly and saw Jesse standing there wide eyed, sword in hand. I gasped and dropped the gun, slowly backing up. Jesse dropped his sword and stared for a minute.

"J-Jesse..-" I started.

before I could say any more, Jesse ran over and threw me into a hug. I hesitated before hugging him back.

I felt myself tear up and I couldn't hold it back anymore. I started sobbing and held Jesse closer. I was half expecting him to shove me away like my dad always did when I started crying but instead he rubbed my back and didn't let go.

"Jesse I'm sorry.. I'm sorry.." "shhh.. you don't need to apologize."

"b-but I do..! I'm sorry I failed you guys I'm sorry you had to see that." I felt my knees start to give in. Jesse must've noticed because he sat us down.

"I couldn't kill him. I'm sorry I'm sorry. I failed you." I kept mumbling and choking on my words through sobs. no matter how annoying I might be, Jesse never left me and kept holding me close. I laid my head on his chest, feeling.. safe.

"he was my best friend.."

Jesse stopped and grabbed my shoulders, making me look at him. "the alternate..?"

I started ugly crying/sobbing again, "yes that was the alternate version of my best friend." "Mark.. I am so sorry.. I'm sorry I didn't get here sooner." I shook my head and he sighed.

"I'm really sorry, Mark. I should've gotten here sooner and I'm sorry you had to go through that." he apologized again. he wiped the tears from my face and hugged me again.

for once I felt safe with someone. I don't know if I should rely on someone that'll leave me. but, that didn't matter, because all that mattered was that I finally had someone I felt safe with.

-------------------

12/25/22