Chapter 47: Mom's juice

"Have you got everything packed?"
"I'm not sure. Can you check the list again?"

Techno stepped forward from where he was leaning against a countertop and picked up the piece of parchment on the table in the middle of the kitchen. He scanned over the list quickly, summarising what was left amongst a dozen crossed out items. "Did we grab the big blanket from Fundy's room?", he asked, looking over the stuff set out on the rest of the table. "Yeah I think so, Tommy and Fundy went to get it.", Wilbur responded before pausing. "We should check before we go, anyway.", he concluded. Techno nodded in agreement; the duo probably got distracted along the way.

"Anything else we're missing?"
"Uhhh . . . Fresh bread, the bottle of fruit juice, mom's- wait she added that one, didn't she?", Techno sighed, seeing 'Mom's juice' written next to the previous item in beautiful cursive. "What is it?", Wilbur asked, setting down the jars he was examining to look at the list. He giggled at the writing and grabbed a glass bottle from the wine rack in the corner of the kitchen. "Mumza deserves a break, so we'll let her indulge a little today."
"She's such a wine mom."
"And the role suits her perfectly, wouldn't you agree? It's nice how carefree she can be."
"Yeah," Techno mumbled in agreement, fighting away the smile on his face.

The goodies collected were wrapped where necessary and packed away in two wicker baskets. "(Y/n)'s going to bring the fresh bread when she's back from visiting Fred and Niki, I believe. They're having tea together this morning, remember?"
"Yeah, she'd been looking forward to it since they planned it."
The brothers picked up a basket each and left the kitchen, walking down the corridors side-by-side. Brick walls led to wallpaper as they reached the living areas of the castle. Turning the corner, Fundy's bedroom door was left ajar. The two princes entered the room to find a mess of blanket and pillows, the closet doors left wide open. Upon inspection, there was nothing left in there except for clothes, boxes, and the readers sat with the author, preparing for their own picnic.
(Are we missing anything? I swear I made a snack list but I can't find it)
All the spare sheets and blankets seemed to be tossed all over the room, with the culprits nowhere to be seen.

Wilbur sighed. "It's going be such a hassle to get Fundy to let someone clean this up. . . Well, I can't see the big blanket. Let's assume Tommy got it and let's go.", Wilbur declared, quickly leaving the room. "Ok, dad.", Techno joked, following behind him at a more leisurely pace.
"Yes, I am a dad, prick. Good to see you're capable of using your brain every once in a while."
Techno gasped in faux offence but decided to drop the bit there. He was too tired today, since the voices decided to keep him up all night with questions that didn't need answers and the worst renditions of Wilbur's music he'd ever heard.

After a few minutes, the two finally reached the front doors, where Phil and Kristin were waiting with Tommy and Fundy. The toddler was excitedly talking about something to his grandparents while Tommy struggled to properly hold the poorly folded blanket. Fundy immediately ran to his dad when he saw him.
"Dad! You'll never guess what happened when we were getting the big blankie!"
"Really, what happened?"
"There was a pillow monster! A really big one!"
Wilbur exaggerated a gasp. "Really? Is that why there were pillows and blankies everywhere?"
"Uh-huh!", Fundy nodded rapidly.
"It must've been scary to see one up close.", Techno added.
"Nope! Me and uncle Tommy foughted it away and saved everyone! I wasn't even scared at all.", Fundy boasted, puffing out his chest.

"Good job, my little champion. Thank you for keeping everyone safe.", Wilbur said, scooping his son up with his free arm and holding him close to his chest.
"You're welcome, papa.", Fundy responded proudly.

"Well, seeing as we're all ready, let's get going!", Philza declared, leading everyone out the door and around the castle towards the gardens. They continued through past the flowers and the fountain until they reached a large patch of grass: or rather a small field separated by hedges and fencing.

Tommy got to work laying out the big blanket, Kristen helping him flatten it out when she saw he was struggling. Techno and Wilbur set down their baskets on opposing corners of the blanket, to secure the blanket in place, Fundy finding and placing some stones on the other two corners. Phil got out cups and plates and set them next to the basket he took them from. He nodded in approval after looking through the other contents. First, he retrieved the juice and poured Fundy a glass, who ran over upon seeing his favourite drink. The rest of their drinks followed suite. Kristen sat next to Wilbur and Tommy, laughing as Wilbur scolded the teenager for making so much mess in Fundy's room. However Tom insisted their really was something in the closet, and Wilbur should be grateful that the two princes had managed to chase it away before it could wreak havoc upon the linens of the castle.

Techno was the first to notice when (Y/n) arrived with a bag in her hands. He waved in greeting and took her hand to help her sit next to him. "How was it. Did you guys have fun?"
"Yeah, Niki and I had a long overdue catch-up, and Fred was almost in tears when looking at the ring.", she laughed, subconsciously fiddling with the ring on her finger while talking. Techno kept looking at her while she spoke about what she did with Niki and Fred: they had been sat and having tea in the bakery when (Y/n) brought up her engagement (Fred dropped her steaming cup straight into her lap upon hearing it), then she had helped Niki make a batch of custard crowns which she had brought with the loaf of fresh bread, before finally going for a walk and browse in the town square (Fred had pointed out every single tailor she knew made wedding gowns). Their conversation stopped when they heard Fundy cheer, having noticed the custard crowns hidden under the big loaf. Wilbur immediately leapt into action before Fundy could get the chance to devour them all, much to the toddler's dismay. He sat with a pout on his father's lap until he was finally given one. The family made sandwiches with bread and jam, (Y/n) and Techno sharing a sandwich with a spread of his choice before continuing their chat over a pastry.

"Grandma, what's in your cup?", Fundy asked, peering at the red liquid in her cup compared to the apple juice in his own. While his was clear with a yellow tint, hers was an opaque red. "It's grandma's special juice, just for grandmas.", she said, taking a sip.
"Aww, can't I have some? Pleeeeease?"
"Ok, have a sniff and then tell me if you want some. But be warned, it might turn you into a grandma!", Kristin teased, lowering the cup so Fundy could smell it. The fox boy immediately cringed, covering his nose and turning away. "Eww! Your juice smells funny, I don't want it. It's like a stinky perfume!", Fundy declared, drinking his apple juice and waddling away to sit between his conversing dad and grandad.
"That's what I thought.", Kristin chided, going back to enjoying her wine. (Y/n) laughed at her mother-in-law's antics.
"You never let me try your wine when I was younger." Tommy huffed as he crossed his arms.
"That's because you had a weak stomach when you were younger and I watched you turn green that time you snuck a sip from my cup. Yes, Tommy, I saw you do it. I think you were four or five? It was before your wings sprouted, that's for sure."
"I don't remember that.", he complained.
"Mothers always remember, Tommy. Are brains are an archive of every single thing you've done."
Tommy went to speak, but then paused.

". . . Everything?"

"Tom, what did you do?"

___________________________________________

I had this chapter done for a while, but I've sat and edited a bit now. Good thing I did, I accidentally had some in 2nd person lol

Anyways, hope you enjoyed! I'd say "I'm gonna try write more" but that sentence alone can completely kill my motivation. So I will say this: keep an eye out, check my message board from time to time, but don't get your hopes too high.

Thanks for reading!