Chapter 10: Some Comfort

"(Y/n). Sorry for arriving without asking beforehand, I just—wait, what the hell happened? You're soaked!", Techno exclaimed as (Y/n) walked up the steps to her home, her dripping clothes clinging to her cold body. She did not raise her lowered head upon hearing his voice, merely continued up the steps until she was stood in front of him. Techno froze when she raised her head, revealing the tears still slowly creeping down her face, warming her face and irritating her eyes. Techno immediately removed his wine-red cloak and wrapped it around her trembling form as sobs racked her body. He flinched when he suddenly felt a burst of cold, but loosened his tense form when he realized (Y/n) was clinging to him, quieting her sobs in his pale white shirt. Techno had no idea how to comfort her, so he simply wrapped his broad arms around her and rocked them ever so slightly side-to-side.

Sobs lessened to quiet weeping, until eventually they too faded, becoming shaky breaths. As (Y/n)'s breathing evened, Techno stilled their rocking. They were stood, embracing each other albeit the water making them colder on that cloudy day. "Do you want to go inside?", Techno asked, his voice low as he bent down and whispered into (Y/n)'s ear. A faint red blossomed across her face as she nodded, loosening her arms and letting them slowly fall to her sides. Techno, too, lowered his arms and opened the door for (Y/n), walking her inside. The (L/n) home was small compared to the manors owned by wealthier or more prominent Lords and Ladies, but it was comfortable and had a beautiful garden. Because of its small size, there were only 6 workers for the property: one cook, two maids to clean and assist (Y/n), one butler who solely assisted Charles (L/n), and two gardeners. On occasions when guests were coming over, the workers were always willing to assist one another.

One maid in particular, a middle-aged woman named Fred, was frequently around the house and always welcomed Techno into the home with open arms... Well, open arms and many suggestive jokes. "Ah, if it isn't Lady (Y/n)'s prince Charming with pink hair— goodness gracious! What happened to Lady (Y/n)?! She looks as if she's been tossed to sea like a fish not big enough to be called a catch! Who's done this? I'll give them many a word, I will, swear on the heart beating behind my bosom!", she cried, immediately rushing over and fretting around (Y/n). She wearily tried to stop Fred, telling her she was fine, but her shaking voice proved otherwise. Fred hastily led (Y/n) upstairs for a warm bath and a change of clothes, leaving Techno to wait downstairs with a wet shirt and no cloak. He waited a while by their fireplace before Fred came back down the stairs.

"Apologies, Mr Blade. It seems Lady (Y/n) isn't exactly in the mood for company, but she and I send you our thanks for comforting her. Whoever threw water upon her best prepare for me to throw a torrent of fists, that's for sure! Such disrespect.", Fred threatened. Techno didn't know if she was just saying that or if she would need a lawyer for a future assault case. "I'm just glad she's ok. I'll be on my way now, (Y/n) can keep my cloak.", he bade farewell and left the (L/n) household. Fred muttered something to herself about how (Y/n) 'best not lose that man, else she'd take him', before giggling to herself and returning upstairs to inform Lord (L/n) of his daughter and assist (Y/n) in any way she could. After informing Charles's butler of (Y/n)'s reason for going to town and recent events, Fred returned to (Y/n)'s room to find she was still in the bath where she left her, red marks under her eyes.

(Y/n) had stopped crying, now just holding her knees to her chest and sitting in the steamy bath. She was no longer upset about the water, she was a little upset about the dress, but her main issue was her father being called a traitor. There were many insults Isabella could've given about (Y/n)'s father, but why traitor? Maybe it was just used because of how serious of an accusation it was, maybe it was because Isabella came up with it on the spot. Seeing as she couldn't think of any other reasons, (Y/n) left it at that. (Y/n) looked up as Fred entered the room with a comforting smile and a change of clothes. "You have nothing to worry about, Lady (Y/n),", she said, "all you need to worry about is whether or not your bed is too hot or cold tonight, I'll make sure of it." (Y/n) successfully returned the smile and lifted herself out of the bath, allowing Fred to help dry and clothe her. She immediately felt better being in warm, dry clothes.