Chapter 20: Butterflies

(Y/n) never thought a visit to her and Techno's shared sanctuary could bring her so much anxiety.

Her wicker basket swung lightly from the fold of her elbow, weighed down by a selection of books she had found in her library. Her hope was to get rid of all the tension clouding her mind by reading with her friend. It was astonishing to think she was sneaking away into the woods to read books and chat with the crown prince. (Y/n) wondered how many other people would wish to be in her place. Plenty of women obviously would, that much was very clear. She was glad she had encountered him that day, though. Despite the circumstances, it led to such a wonderful friendship.

(Y/n) wove through branches and bark where she reached the pond, her choice of baggy trousers being much more suited to the journey than a skirt ever had been. (The bagginess of your pants are up to you, they could just be a little loose, or skirt level flared) Techno was splayed out on a patch of grass, one leg outstretched with the other bent (like me-). His hair circled his head like a halo intertwined with strands of grass and buttercups. His golden glasses rested upon his forehead, the chain tangled his ears. His chest periodically rose and fell under the loose fabric of his shirt, some visible around his collarbones where he had it partially unbuttoned. (Y/n) was a little surprised to see faint pink chest hairs, then turned away with a beet red face when she realised just how closely she had been looking at him.

Techno sat up from his resting place when he heard her, a few stray flower petals still in his hair. He couldn't refuse the fact seeing her so flushed in the face made him smile, a soft fluttering feeling blossoming within his stomach. He watched as she placed her basket next to the one he had brought. He was confused. Wasn't today decided to be his turn bringing snacks? His questions were resolved when (Y/n) pulled a few books out of the basket. "What genres did you bring?", he asked as she took a seat next to him. "Detective thriller, fantasy, and a literary non-fiction. Which one do you want to read?", she asked in turn, holding up one of the books she brought as she listed what each type was. They eventually settled on the detective thriller.

Hours fluttered by like butterflies amongst the branches of the forest, before they took a break to share snacks. Technoblade pulled out some shortbread and (favourite fruit), splitting it evenly between you. You basked in the afternoon sun, snacking and sharing opinions of the characters that been introduced in the book thus far. (Y/n)'s comments were few and far between, different to how she usually was. Techno knew she had a plethora of colourful words do describe how poorly written some characters were, yet she barely seemed to be paying attention to the book. "Is something up? You've been acting a little off this entire time.", Techno queried, putting the last of his fruit back in the basket. (Y/n) became rigid by Techno's side, still silent. She debated telling Techno about her problems, eventually deciding to keep it vague. "My father's been having a bit of trouble lately, and I'm unable to help him, that's all. I can't help but worry for him."
"If ever you're having trouble, I can always help-"
"No,", (Y/n) intervened, "there's no need for us to bother you. We've overcome struggles before, we'll overcome this one too. I'm sure of it." Techno decided to accept her words, but the thought didn't leave his mind as (Y/n) finished her snack and they returned to the book.

Techno truly did try to pay attention to the book, but he found himself rereading the same line over and over. He eventually gave up on reading and looked to his left, where (Y/n) sat. Her fingers were silent against the pages as her index moved down the page, a little habit Techno had noticed she did to show what line she was on. Her (h/c) locks were draped over her shoulder, a few rebellious strands frequently getting tucked behind her ear. She was nibbling her lower lip between her teeth, a flash of white periodically visible whenever she smiled. Her eyelashes curtained her orbs of glistening (e/c) as they danced along the words of the page, following a rhythm only known to her.
It felt like a bug had gotten under his shirt at first, and Techno had just shaken the fabric slightly in an attempt to get rid of whatever it was. But when he heard (Y/n) giggle, he swore he must've swallowed an insect whole, because the flattery feeling was inside. No matter how much he tried to ignore the fluttery feeling, it didn't go away until he bade (Y/n) farewell later that evening.

The forest seemed so eerie with the sun so low on the horizon; red and orange hues behind the black silhouettes of the trees made it look like you were approaching the boiling bowels of the nether. Maybe it was something in Techno's abnormal genetics that made the sight feel comforting, in its own ominous way. For a split second, the crunching of dead leaves under his feet was registered as the aggressive hissing of steam. The natural ambiance of a passing family of wild boar became the bubbling of magma. The red heat that had blossomed in his face from an awkward goodbye was now the teasing touches of a dancing inferno. Techno's eyes darted frantically, desperate to reaffirm himself and his surroundings. He wasn't in the nether, he was in a forest. The world around him didn't fully feel real until a harsh wind sent chills up his spine, confirming he well and truly was in a cold forest with nightfall approaching. He hastened his emergence from the forest and rushed home as the first few stars made themselves present,

the butterflies still dancing in his stomach.

______________________________

Sorry for the late update, I had to rearrange the main room and that meant unplugging the computer while the table was moved. I would've just uploaded on my phone, but that always changes the order of the chapters. Anyways, hope you enjoyed this chapter, and I can't wait to see you all in the next one!