Chapter 46: I'll find you

He ran through the dark cellar, the candles light glowing from behind the next corner. He wasn't fast enough to keep up with it, he knew that, but he pushed himself to run faster and faster, following the flickering ember and dripping wax as it guided him. He could only hope it was to the exit, and not just getting him lost further. His wooden sword was held firmly in his chubby little hand, ready to strike at anything that jumped at him from the darkness. The wood was strong and pointy, perfect to fight even the strongest of bad guys.

Further and further the candle went, waiting at corners only to immediately rush away once in sight. But Fundy persisted until finally, Fundy could see a staircase. A soft white glow came from the top of the stairs. Finally, an escape. Finally, Fundy would be free from the cellar!

Or so he thought.

The candle went out, and a shadow stood at the top of the stairs. The silhouette was so unfamiliar, yet Fundy had the horrible feeling that he had encountered it before. It began approaching him. Each step of its descent creaked. Fundy took a step back.

"You can't run away, little fox.", the shadow said, its voice deep and echoey. "You can try and try to run away, but you'll never escape."
Fundy's blood ran cold, and his hand trembled as he desperately clenched his wooden sword. A mighty weapon he was so confident with a minute ago now felt as protective as a sheet of parchment. With each step closer the shadow took forward, Fundy took one back. And another. And another, until his back hit a wall he swore wasn't there before.

A familiar cold hand latched on to his shoulder, pulling him close. He felt each individual finger clamp down. He felt bruises already forming. Where was his dad?

"Your father can't protect you now.

I'll always find you."

___________________________________________________

It was late at night, too late for any child to be awake, yet there Fundy was: waddling down the dimly lit corridor with a pig plushie held in one hand. Sir Francis Bacon was being dragged along the carpet, but Fundy was a little too tired to notice. Rightfully so, seeing as he had been tucked into bed no more than 4 hours ago. Poor Francis would get all the cuddles later as an apology, but it would have to wait. Fundy's fist was frustratedly rubbing his eye, because it was itchy. Definitely not because he was crying a little. He was a big boy! Big boys don't cry! (Big boys can cry if they want to <3) The corridor was already dark, but his blurry eyes didn't make it any better.

Fundy continued walking, counting the doors as he passed them. He counted five doors, then turned left. He counted three doors, then turned around and counted again because he forgot how many he counted. But before long, he was finally in front of his fathers bedroom door. Fundy knocked three times, counting each knock aloud, and waited.

Fundy had a bad dream. A very bad dream. It was so bad that he didn't want to tell anyone about it! But it was very scary, so Fundy decided he had to ask the bravest, strongest person he could think of to protect him: his dad. Uncle Techo was strong, but not as strong as Fundy's dad!

Fundy stood there for nearly a whole minute of silence before knocking again, a little harder.

"Dad!", he called out, knocking a third time, yet he received no answer from behind the door. No amount of knocking stirred a sound. "Dad!", he cried again. Still nothing.

Where was he? Why wasn't his dad in his bedroom? Where could he be? Fundy had more questions than he could count (more than ten) but no answers. At this point, Fundy could no longer hold back his tears, plopping down on the floor in front of the door and holding Francis close. Was the scary man right? Could his dad really not find him? Fundy sobbed into Francis plush shoulder, certain that his dad was nowhere to be found.

"Fundy? What are you doing? Are you ok?"

Fundy's head shot up as he looked at the open door to his left. Stood in the doorway with a lit candlestick was Wilbur, without a doubt. Fundy shot up, almost forgetting Francis and ran to his father, immediately latching to his leg. "Daddy, I thought the scary man got you!" Fundy sobbed rubbing his snotty nose on his dads pyjamas. Wilbur ignored the damp spot on his trouser leg and immediately sat on the floor, carefully setting the candle aside before wrapping his arms around his son. "Oh, my brave little boy, its ok. I'm right here.", he assured, voice still groggy from sleep.

"Why weren't you in your room? I was scared!"

Wilbur paused, a smile spreading across his face as he held back a giggle. "Fundy, that was the bathroom door. This room is my bedroom, remember?"

Fundy blinked once. Twice. "Oh.", he mumbled, before going quiet again with his ear up against his fathers chest. Wilbur picked up Fundy and Sir Francis Bacon, taking them into his room and setting them in his bed. After quickly going back for the candle and replacing it on his nightstand, he climbed into bed next to his son, who was giving Francis some head-pats and apologising for dragging him on the floor.

"What's wrong, my brave little fox? Did you have a bad dream?"
Fundy tiredly nodded. "I couldn't find you, and the scary shadow man said you wouldn't find me. So I had to wake up and find you before the scary shadow man!" Wilbur cooed at his son.
"You came to protect me, huh? Thank you, my boy. I feel so safe with you here."
Fundy puffed his chest out and held his chin high as his father pulled him into a hug. Wilbur ran his fingers expertly through his sons hair, knowing exactly how to gently remove any knots and soothe his boy. Fundy yawned and buried his face in his father's chest, twisting and turning to get comfortable. He had his ear against his dad's heart, listening to it beat rhythmically.

Bump-bump, Bump-bump.
"Dad?"
"Yes, my lovely little lavender?"
"Since I'm protecting you..."
Bump-bump, Bump-bump.
"Yeah?"
"... Will you protect me too?"
"Of course, Fundy. I'll keep you safe. So sleep well, because I will always protect you."

Bump-bump, Bump-bump, Bump-bump.

_________________________________________________________________________

As promised, another chapter. I've been trying to write now and then, but nothing productive's came from it. It'll probably be a while before the next chapter. Sorry!
I need to keep plot moving, but at the same time I want to write more fluffy stuff.
At the same time though, I can't stop thinking about finally revealing some more lore and that'll lean more towards angst.
The torture chapter still needs writing.
And the only times I've been able to write stuff is about a game most people don't know or don't play so idk if any of you would be interested in reading that.
And the girl I like is in America having a math test on Monday that I can't help with.
And college isn't going as well as it could be.
And I feel like I'm just pulling excuses out of my ass.

Anywho, hope you enjoyed the chapter!
<3