Chapter 18

When I walk into the house, I'm greeted by a tornado of hugs and kisses. It's a blur of brown and red-brown hair. I immediately notice that the bright red hair is missing from our reunion.

"Where's Brookie?" I ask, concerned.

Mama and Dad were waiting at the door and embraced me as soon as I walked in, they said they heard the car pull up, but Brookie is nowhere to be seen.

"Brookie is having a play hour at the Robinson household. We haven't heard anything from Gramps or you for a few months, we didn't know what condition you would be in when you arrived. All we were told was that you were on your way home," Mama says.

I knew that my parents might not have been told anything, but the fact that they didn't know about the hospital still shocked me. So much has happened since I left, and it feels like they should just know about all of the big things that occurred. There's no way they could have known though.

"How are you?" asks Dad.

"I'm amazing!" I exclaim.

Mama gasps and her hand flies to her mouth. She looks like she's on the verge of crying. I don't understand why she looks upset. I look around a little, then back to her, my facial expression is a question.

"Wha?" I begin, but then I notice that her hand has moved from her mouth to her throat.

She feels up and down her neck, then walks up to me and lightly traces her right pointer finger down my neck. I have to think for a moment, but then I remember all surgery, and certainly glass in your throat, will leave a scar. I never even thought about checking for one, although even if I had thought about it, it wouldn't have done much good. There weren't any mirrors in the hospital.

"I know it's probably bad," I say. "I haven't seen it, but with the glass and the surgeries..."

My voice fades when I notice that Mama is crying. I look to Dad, he is crying also. I didn't expect either of them to cry. I guess it's understandable that they're crying though. Their daughter ran away and came back scarred. They will be even more surprised to hear the whole story, and how it started. They need to know about the Tattoo.

"We should probably talk before Brookie comes," I say, knowing it's right but longing to see Brookie.

I don't want to talk about this now. All I want is to talk to my little sister, but this has to come first.

I look around and realize that we're all standing in a circle, except for Vander. Vander isn't in the house.

"I'll be right back," I say, then I run out the door. Vander is sitting in the car. I open the door and climb in.

"Why are you out here?" I ask.

"I'm having a tea party with the drivers seat," he says sarcastically. "I didn't want to go in, you needed a family moment."

"Guess what?" I ask in an excited tone.

"What?" he asks.

"I didn't get a family moment. You know why? Because the whole family wasn't there."

"Were your parents not home? Or do you have a sibling that wasn't waiting for you? We called ahead..." I cut him off there.

"Well, it's true that my little sister, Brookie, wasn't there, but that's not what I was talking about."

"What were you talking about then?" he asks, agitated.

"I didn't get a family moment because you weren't there. You're part of the family now. You don't need an invitation to get in. The house is yours just as much as it is mine, now come in and meet your mom and dad. Brookie isn't here, but you will meet her later."

"Are you sure?" he asks with uncertainty.

"I'm sure," I reply.

I bring him into the house.

"Who's this?" asks dad, a little on edge.

"This is Vander, we share a Tattoo that you will hear all about later, but he will be staying with us from now on, he is your new son."

"Hi?" Vander says shyly.

"A son is surely welcome here," Mama says, she walks up to Vander and kisses him on the forehead.

"I need another man in the house, the three girls overpower Gramps and I," says Dad, he walks up to Vander and gives him a firm handshake.

Vander still looks unsure, but he looks a little more confident. He smiles at my parents, then looks to me, asking me what to say with his eyes, but Mama speaks first.

"Why don't you go sanitize and change, Addilyn. Vander, we will show you to your room, you should do the same.

We all grab our bags and head off in different directions to our rooms. I hear the soft murmur of friendly conversation as I walk away, and I smile. Vander is going to like it here.