Chapter 14

I wake to see a nurse lightly caressing my hair.

"Addilyn wake up honey," she says lightly.

I find it odd that she calls me "honey." It's not like we have known each other for a long time.

"Hey baby can you just say hi to me? You can not talk any more than we tell you to or you might hurt yourself," she talks to me like she is talking to a puppy.

I think of talking to Vander. I hope I didn't hurt myself. Even if I did it was worth it. I had to talk to him.

"H," I try to start, but I can't, I begin violently coughing up blood.

"Knock her out!" the nurse screams.

I feel a small pinch in the top of my arm, then I'm gone.

When I wake I see Gramps and Vander staring at me. My throat feels like it has been ripped apart in the middle. Oh wait, haha. I forgot, it pretty much has.

They both smile, I try to smile back, but my lips are taped.

"Hey babe!" says the nurse. "The tape is just a little safety precaution so you can't talk and hurt yourself again. We had to perform another surgery on your throat. Next week you will start speech therapy and then you can leave!" she is so happy.

I am in too much pain to deal with all of her happiness right now.

"Can we have some time alone please?" asks Gramps.

"No problem!" exclaims the nurse.She leaves shutting the door behind her.

"It's time that you know what is going on," says Gramps, as serious as can be. "You two are obviously special. When you're injected with ink there is a set amount that they give you. It makes it's way to your skin and the ink actually gives you the qualities that it represents. It creates your personality. So that being said you should understand that the ink is very powerful. It creates a lot of your personality. Too much of that ink can result in it giving you things, like powers. Like the ability to enter stories, or walk through fire. I knew that you could see and feel the stories when I watched you Addilyn. You two met by chance, but I don't suggest you leave each other, or me. This is very dangerous and no one can know about you two. This hospital is a safe place. We will be staying here for the next few weeks while you recover. I will tell you the rest of the plan a couple days before we leave, but we can't leave until you're fully recovered. Again, it's dangerous. Right now we will focus on your healing process and your health. they will take the tape off of your mouth once a day to feed you, It will all be drinks because food might hurt your throat. You have to understand that when they take the tape off of your mouth you can't talk. It will set us back and put us in danger. No talking without instructions from a hospital staff member. This is very important. Do you understand?"

I nod. I know that Gramps is very serious now so this is a big deal. Gramps is almost never serious. He's always telling jokes and clowning around. There is no better person to help keep a light mood. If Gramps is serious then there can be no joking around.

"Good now rest," he says, he walks over to the bed and kisses me on the forehead, then he exits the room, leaving the door open, I'm assuming for Vander to follow, after him.

"Bye Addi," Vander whispers.

I will never get used to the way he says my name. It will always surprise me. I will always love it. He walks over, for a moment he hesitates, he is unsure of what a proper goodbye is. I grab his hand, and slowly guide it to my forehead, I lead it down the side of my face and over the edge of my jaw, then he begins to control the movement. He brings it up the other side of my face. He caresses my hair. Then he brushes it back. He looks so fragile, I'm guessing that I've been toying with his emotions quite a bit lately. He bends down, I hold my breath, scared that breathing too harshly might break him. He lightly kisses the tape over my lips, then he slowly and lightly trails his callused pointer finger down my arm. When it leaves my arm it leaves me wanting him more. He leaves the room and I watch him leave.

I suddenly feel like all of my energy has been drained. I am getting a little tired of being so tired all the time. I unwillingly let sleep drag me under its blanket. I am gone, once again.