19

There's nothing to fret over, Mrs. Tiffin. It won't be easy but putting Mr. Tiffin's issues on display will help our cause; You said he'd busted into work drunk?

This line of questioning from Billy ran through my mind as I sat at my desk. God. Deciding to take Hero to court was only the first step in a long line of disastrous events to unfold.

Persueing it made me feel like the evil witch of the west, but really, had it been any different from his behavior? Was I supposed to just lie back and allow him- and Diedre- to ruin what little happiness there was left?

Yes, it was true. Ellie had my entire heart and unfortunately her father, drunk mess that he was, didn't care how she ended up. Who cared about all the bullshit he'd shoveled my way for nearly three years. That could be dealt with. But neglectment thrust towards her small, unsuspecting mind? No. Meant what I said; Hero would always be last compared to her.

How had we ended up like this?

Of course the inquiry had been answered in a multitude of ways mentally and by caring friends, but it didn't stop me from hoping there was another conclusion.

That's what this was though; the conclusion of our grand story. Knew that if thousands of individuals were reading about it, they likely would scoff at such predicaments.

You silly girl... Why bother with such a jerk?

This cycle just keeps repeating itself.

Glad you left him the first time, but why return? Get a backbone!

"Kristina. Are you okay?"

Snapping out of my reverie, I realized that not only had my fork still been idly speared into a bunch of lettuce, but my eyes were latched onto my current screensaver, one snapchat of nineteen year-old Hero-Fiennes-Tiffin with the usual cigarette fit between plump lips, as he stared off onto the distance.

God, how different things seemed back then. More toxic? Perhaps, but at least there hadn't been a marriage and custody battle amidst it all.

None other than Eli stood on my threshold, clutching stacks upon stacks of documents against his chest. Ever since Hero abandoned his rightful business at my side, every poor employee I'd hired, had suffered immensely.

Only reason we hadn't gone completely under was with support from his father Chester. Turned out he hadn't approved of the relationship with his grandmother either.

Could remember our heart to heart mere days ago...

"Should have seen how my dear wife fared before her passing. Oh, Kristina, it was horrible. For years, she didn't know how to deal. Neither of us knew how to deal."

My eyes widened at this revalation; he'd never been so open with me and couldn't even recall seeing him at my wedding. Had been shocked the man even scheduled this brunch.

"Broke my heart how she looked... Oh, Chester, I'm so very sorry. But forgive me if I'm confused as to what you're talking about."

"Diedre. That soulless vixen. God. Even after all attempts to keep her from our dear son... She still found a way. We weren't the perfect parents, no, but what can you do when you have a child unexpectedly?"

This made me frown, which he noticed.

"Sorry, dear. Don't mean anything negative. Eleanor is such an angel. But take it from the only grandparent on Tiffin ground alive: get that little girl away from those two. If you do not... I fear she may face the same fate her father did for so long."

I'd known what Chester had been alluding to, but didn't want to believe it. No. Hero would never stoop that low. To insinuate that he'd ever allow anyone to abuse his daughter was just- But really. Hadn't he stooped low enough already? Fuck. Fuck, Fuck.

Pressing both index fingers to my temples, I tried massaging away any pain, but to no avail.

"Eli, yes, I'm okay. What do you need?"

"Alright... Just letting you know these files are almost finished. About to photocopy as we speak. Also, someone is here to see you. Claim they're old friends."

Wow... Did not like the way he worded that... Who the hell was here? Better not have been Diedre or even her grandson for that matter.

"Who?"

A moment of silence passed before one name I didn't expect to hear echoed off steel walls:

"Annie, I think it was?"

Crap.

Sorry for the late update y'all :)))

PS did you catch onto some easter eggs I put in this chapter. ❤