15

Things will only get worse from here 💔😭

______________________________________

Divorce.

Divorce.

DIVORCE.

The impending eventuality lingered in my brain. It was real. It would happen. Was a only a matter of time now.

He'd made his choice. Over his own family.

If Eleanor was snatched from me, she wouldn't know what actual love pertained. Not if they were involved in any way shape or form.

CPS would be called. Fine. Let Diedre do what she must. But that didn't mean I'd lose so easily.

No.  This case would go to court and there would be a legion of supporters behind me and my twin.

My... Husband's twin.

God. She looked just like him. No doubt would carry on the messy locks and brilliant eyes.

The afternoon had gone as well as possible. New employees on the roster took up time as well necessary meetings.

Along with transferring Evelyn to my immediate department, both Eli and Cole filled slots.

Seemed Eli accepted the inevitability of Hero's return, though Cole had been less forgiving.

His appearance was needed most days, but tendency to linger was...

Annoying.

My irritation must have been palpable on my call with Kylie because she inquired about the tone.

"Need me to help with a restraining order?"

I sighed.

"No. I'm sorry. Things just got confusing post Hero's disappearance. Didn't think he was ever coming back; was it wrong to accept attention from other men?"

There was silence before her response.

"Especially from men that treat you better."

Ah. There.

The fact everyone seemed to be aware of.

"Did Spouse treat you better?"

This made me frown.

God.

"Yes... In ways. No fights. No aggressiveness. But was so boring. Maybe a toxic life is what makes it work with my husband. Maybe I love it."

Kylie paused to shout at someone in the background.

"Sorry, girl. Ezekiel is trying to rush us off to the Maldives for our honeymoon. But listen: E sat me down one night and pointed out something very important; hanging onto Tiffin for as long as I did was built on pure attachment. Obsession. Life's too short to settle."

Huh?

I was settling? Come on. It was more complicated than that.

"Think you're wrong. We're meant to be. It's just..."

"Just what, Kristina? I'm only saying this out of love. How many times over the years has he purposely done things out of spite?"

No. No. No.

Out of anything, realization that this was nothing more than a lesson was hurtful.

Kylie went on:

"Otherwise, why would you be contemplating divorce?"

Wait. What.

"Um... Never told you about that yet."

We'd only been speaking for such a short minute.

Labored breaths came through the receiver.

"Kristina... You guys haven't made it official? The newest interview just aired hours ago. Thought that's what the call was about. "

Fuck.

"No...I... Look. There's lots to unpack but have to go to deal with this. Raincheck?"

Before her reply could be voiced, my feet pounded across carpet.

Get to Emma and Eleanor.

Now.

What do you all think of the new chapter?

Diedre's got a lot up her sleeve.

Please vote and comment.

Excited for Hero's book????