Scared

I was sweating despite the cool air from the air conditioner inside my car, and it didn't have anything to do with the warm temperatures outside

I met Brian at the car dealer and got my car back. From there, I took the long route home. Normally, it was an enjoyable drive, but not this time. I had the stereo off and despite hearing the thumping of my pulse, I was too afraid to turn it on.

Honking cars had me jumping in my seat and my hands shook every time I saw a dark sedan.

I drove through the town and circled my apartment complex four times to make sure I wasn't being followed, or that there wasn't anyone watching the front door, before I managed to get myself together enough to park.

The phone calls throughout the day, with Austin and Alex, had been nothing less than absolutely terrifying. They didn't know who the man was, but they knew of him. And they suspected he'd shot Dana, the blonde woman I'd thought was Austin's girlfriend.

My knees trembled by the time I closed and locked the apartment door behind me. Austin's warning to be careful and on alert had been crystal clear. The man I'd seen was dangerous, and he was after them.

I slipped my shoes off and put my purse down on the table next to the door, just like every other day, but nothing about it felt the same. It wasn't the usual relief of coming home after a long day at work to Selma prancing in front of me and rubbing the side of her body up against the corner wall. Instead, my heart pounded inside my chest like a drum and I jumped at every little sound and studied every shadow in the room like some man was going to magically appear in them.

And not just any man. No, the one I now knew for sure was after Austin.

The man who'd asked me if I needed help in Boston. He was the one hunting the man I loved.

And he'd already shot someone.

My stomach flipped over and I just made it to the bathroom in time to throw up all I'd eaten throughout the day, although it wasn't much. I'd been too worried ever since I saw the man outside the building to focus on anything, including work and food.

Austin had warned me about this. Alex too. Over and over ever since I cornered them in Boston. They had stressed that it was imperative that I was careful and on the lookout for anything unusual at all times.

There was a reason they had changed identities numerous times, and while I knew they were in danger-I'd even been part of the car chase- I didn't fully realize how much danger they were in. And potentially how much I was...

My phone rang, and it scared me to the point where I screamed out loud. Selma flew off the table and scrambled to get in under the couch. Then I laughed at myself in embarrassment, but it quickly turned to teariness as I fumbled to answer the call.

"Is everything okay?" Austin asked in that deep, calm tone of his that I loved. It always had a relaxing effect, but not this time.

"Mostly..."

"Tell me what's going on, Ellie."

"Nothing is going on, Austin. I'm just a bit freaked out, that's all." I didn't want to admit exactly how freaked out I was, or that I thought I saw the bogeyman around every corner.

"You should be safe, babe. Based on all Alex searches, nobody is looking for you. The man came to BioloGen looking for me. We don't think they know who you are."

He didn't say "yet," but I knew that was what he meant. It was most likely just a matter of time...

"What should I do?" I asked and sunk to the couch like a deflated balloon.

"Nothing for now, but you have to stay vigilant of your surroundings."

He sounded like some kind of informative recording. Like something I pictured the Police department would say to warn the public after a prison break. There was nothing descriptive, or any rules to follow, and for some reason, that annoyed me.

"Just don't take any risk," he continued, like my life was that exciting. "Be careful when you do what you normally do."

"And what if they figure out who I am?" I asked. "Do I have to leave like you guys?"

"I don't think that will be necessary, Ellie." His tone was miserable, like he regretted getting me involved in his mess. But it wasn't his fault. I knew that. I was the one that barged my way into his new life without considering what the consequences could be.

Despite that, I couldn't help but worry. I didn't want to have to leave my family, but I also didn't want to let Austin go. It felt like everything was up in the air and the future was as uncertain as ever.

"Sport is searching for the car to see if he can find where the guy is going. We were able to get most of the license plate numbers from the surveillance video, so we should be able to figure out where he is."

"What? Alex can do that?"

I knew he had some kind of computer job and that he could do some crazy stuff, but I didn't know how just how much.

"Yeah..."

He didn't finish the sentence, and it occurred to me that there was a lot I didn't know about Austin and his brother.