Voyage of the Damned

Beginne am Anfang

"It's all right, ma'am," the steward said, rushing over with a few officers. "We can handle this. Software problem, that's all. Leave it with us, sir, ma'am." Jack nodded suspiciously as they hauled the Host off, and his scowl deepened when he heard the steward say, "That's another one down. What's going on with these things?"

Before he could bring it up to the Apocalypse, a crash sounded from nearby. Both siblings turned to see the same man with the vone was raging at a curly-haired waitress, whose tray was on the ground, glasses broken everywhere. "For Tov's sake, look where you're going!" he shouted, making both siblings scowl. "This jacket's a genuine Earth antique!"

"I'm sorry, sir," she mumbled.

"You'll be sorry when it comes off your wages, sweetheart!" He stormed off, grumbling. "Staffed by idiots. No wonder Max Capricorn's going down the drain."

"And he's saying she's an idiot?" Jack muttered.

The Apocalypse hurried over to help the waitress. "Careful," she said, helping her with the glass. "There we go."

"Thank you, ma'am," the waitress said. "I can manage."

"I never said you couldn't," the Apocalypse countered. "I'm the Apocalypse, by the way."

"Captain Jack Harkness," Jack added, helping with the remaining glass.

"Stop it."

"I'm just saying hello!"

"For you, no matter who it's intended for, that's flirting."

+++

Jack nodded, then turned to Lynda with a smile. "Hey, there."

"Hello," she replied.

"Captain Jack Harkness," he introduced himself.

"Lynda Moss."

He grinned. "Nice to meet you, Lynda Moss."

"Do you mind flirting outside?" the Apocalypse asked.

"I was just saying hello!" Jack whined.

"And for you, that's flirting."

"I'm not complaining," Lynda said, blushing.

"Muchas gracias," Jack told her, winking and kissing the back of her hand.

+++

"Her older brother," Jack added.

"Astrid," she introduced herself. "Astrid Peth."

"Nice to meet you, Astrid Peth," the Apocalypse smiled. "Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas, ma'am, sir," Astrid smiled.

"Just Apocalypse," she shook her head. "Not ma'am."

"And no sir for me, either," Jack added. "May be a captain, but no need for that."

Astrid nodded. "You enjoying the cruise?"

"Suppose so," the Apocalypse shrugged. "Might need to get out more often."

"Long way from home," Jack told her. "Planet Sto."

"Doesn't feel that different," Astrid shrugged, standing up with her glasses. "I spent three years working at the spaceport diner, traveled all the way here, and I'm still waiting on tables."