7| The killing

"Many stories the young sailor was told

About the creatures, the sea hid in the cold

Yet, none of them did he believe

Just fairytales to him it seemed

He wandered the endless sea

Sailing brought him so muchglee

The foolish boy didn't know

Death was waiting for itself to show

Your father knew, he wasn't a fool

To fight with the ones that the sea rule

You were foolish enough

Trying to act all tough

Here I am, I came myself

Do you now believe the book on your shelf?

But the tales haven't told

What happens when you are bold

Come on take a peek

Or are you just as weak

Come now meet my eyes

See if they were all just lies"

The humming had finally turned into entire words that he could comprehend. He stared in awe while listening to the song the siren had prepared just for him. Her voice was even more immersive than her appearance. She knew him, she knew his life and what he had gone through. She knew his thoughts and hopes and dreams and fears. She knew him better than he knew himself

The night he almost jumped out of the inn window, was when the siren had looked through all of his life. She was aware that if she knew enough about the prey, they would jump right into her arms, thinking she was the thing that had been missing from the puzzle that was their life.

"Jump in." She swam a little closer and smiled. The captain hesitated, his old voice giving its last breath. A warning to not do it.

"Don't give in..."

"Jump in." She repeated, nodding. His own voice was gone, forever, and he stretched out his hand. The siren had won and there was no turning back.

She jumped from the water and got a strong grip on his hand. Her hand was long and slim, nails like daggers and fingers connected by a thin piece of skin. Her nails dug into his skin, ripping it. Blood came rushing out as it trailed down the captain's hand. He felt no pain though.

She pulled him in and they were both in the water. Her tail circled around his body, keeping it in place. Her claws dug in deeper into his flesh, but he just kept smiling and admiring her. He wasn't the captain anymore, he was the prey.

Her eyes turned from the light purple into a bright red, indicating she was ready to have her meal. She smiled wide, showing off her teeth. They were three rows of knife-sharp teeth. Saliva started dripping from the corner of her now stretched-out mouth. Her face wasn't pure and elegant anymore.

She let out an ear-piercing shriek before pulling the numb body into the water. Air bubbles came out of his mouth, but he just stared. It was taking too long for all the life to leave out of him, so with her free hand, the siren grabbed his neck and squeezed. The last air bubbles left his throat and there was a snap.

Her jaw stretched, a trait very useful in times of hurry. She could already hear the other sirens coming her way. They had smelled blood and were ready to get a piece of her meal.

She dug her teeth into his right shoulder blade, ripping his arm out with a swift movement. She kept him in place with her tail as she devoured his arm, bones included. Bits and pieces of muscle and skin floated away. The crew's shouts could be heard, such a great way to set the atmosphere.

She heard the screeches of the other sirens and immediately pulled her arm back and with full swing attacked the prey's chest. It only took her seconds to reach the heart. It was warm and still gave weak beats once in a while. She ripped it out and swallowed it in one bite. As it passed through her throat, the body was ripped out of her hold.

Another siren had started chewing through his abdomen, so she got into action. Trying to chew off as much meat as possible from any place she could find. Not soon after, there were twelve sirens devouring the now unrecognizable body. He was beheaded, eyeballs had been clawed out and the jaw was already eaten. His body had been decapitated and three sirens were trying to get a hold of one of his legs. His internal organs were being ripped to shreds, but not forgotten. Sirens were brutal not only with their victims, but with each other as well. Each one would have a bite mark or scratches somewhere or even a ripped fin.

From the point of view of the crew, who were all devastated by what they had just witnessed, it looked like a bunch of piranhas. They would soon see each siren going back to the direction they came from, one after the other. Only blood was left behind and even that spread and disappeared quickly.

When they returned to Windin, they looked like madmen. They went to each person on the street and told them about how their captain was eaten. Everyone pushed them off, cursed at them, and let them cry on the streets. The story got out fast, but few believed it. They thought it was a cover-up after the crew didn't want to admit their the captain was too reckless and had gotten himself killed. They weren't very far from the truth.

And yes, this is the ending. Please don't tell me you got attached to our captain! He was foolish, but I guess he gave me an interesting story to tell you. I didn't warn you for nothing. This is a nightmare, not a fairytale, I told you before.

Now my last piece of advice before you go. Let the story of our captain be a lesson to you all. Sometimes, don't be afraid to believe in something that hasn't been proven yet. Keep my words engraved in your mind.

Just because you haven't seen it, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Just because you can't see it, it doesn't mean it can't kill.

You dear reader now have a new fairy tale to tell. It's a little different from the ones with princesses and their knights in shining armor, but those are too boring anyway. When you tell this story don't give a warning like me. Start it off as if there will be a happy ending. Actually, this ending was happy for the siren, but you know what I'm implying. They will think the usual things. The captain will love the siren so much and she will spare him and later when they meet again they fall in love. It will be fun to see their faces drain from happiness as you tell them about the decapitated body.

The sea is filled with wonderful creatures. Some just roam the sea peacefully, some kill until the blue is tainted red. There are plenty of books filled with the latter, however, most just choose to ignore them.

Our captain was one of them and look what happened to him. He had a bright future ahead of him, too bad it was cut short. The young captain is no more at sea now.

I can already hear the cries of some passerby. Poor soul, how did he die? A thunderstorm or maybe a large wave?

What was deep in the blue had him shredded and put into his grave.

THE END