2| The sail

Just like that the years passed. Lucia still cruised through waves, but now with a new captain on board. The boy had grown up and as he had said, he became the ruler of the sea, replacing his father on deck. His father had spent decades on the sea and it had worn him out until he was just skin and bones. He had started bringing his son with him on his sails soon after the boy had become a little older. He taught him all of his tricks and ways around the water. He finally left Lucia's legacy to his son, who was already the most skilled sailor the old man had ever seen during all his time at sea.

The boy had grown up to make a name for himself. People would fight, push and pull just to get a glimpse of him walking by. They told stories about his bravery and skill. The creatures he had fought, the new routes he had discovered that had made sailing easier for so many other ships. Kings would offer him the highest ranks in their naval fleets, but he would always turn down their offers. He wasn't made for the expensive lifestyle with castles, luxurious jewelry, and large boats. Lucia and his crew were all he needed to be happy, and happy he was.

That simple way of living he had chosen for himself, always shocked many. He could afford a better ship, a better job, maybe even a lady to stay by his side. But, the only love he had was for the sea. It would call out his name every time he walked on dry land.

The captain left his cabin wearing a dark green shirt and black pants. On his head stood his sailor cap, now fitting perfectly. The sword on his belt wasn't a wooden toy anymore, but one made of steel, with a sharp edge, ready to slice through the flesh of danger. He had jet black hair that sometimes would fall over his eyes since it had been a while since his last haircut. He was tall and had a good physique from always being on his feet. His eyes were a rich brown that were always on the move, analyzing the surroundings. His gaze was intense and could intimidate and make even the strongest of people quiver in fear.

His crew greeted him with waves and cheers. They were all busy with the roles already assigned to them, but never too busy to show their admiration and appreciation for their captain. Some of them knew him since he was a young boy and couldn't believe what a man he had become. The captain started walking across the deck, his intense stare shifting from one crew member to the other, checking whether everyone was doing their tasks correctly and not slacking off in some corner.

Counting the heads he noticed someone missing, the new sailor he had just brought in a month or so ago. His shoes tapped against the floor as he passed by the usual nooks his crew enjoyed to snooze off. The rest of the crew caught on and started looking around, hoping to find their friend before the captain. Not having any luck on deck, the captain went down the stairs to the supplies storage. Sitting on the floor, with his back on one of the boxes, lay asleep his young sailor. The captain let out an amused breath before rolling up his sleeves to his forearms. The rest of the crew waited on the deck for the show to start. It started with screams and fast footsteps rushing towards their way.

The poor sailor was climbing the stairs with all fours, tripping on his way with the captain following calmly behind him. The sailor sat on the floor and looked up at his beloved captain.

"Cap, please! I can explain!" The young boy laughed nervously while the captain crossed his arms, waiting for the explanation. "I was up late last night."

"And how is that my fault?"

"I wanted to sleep but there was this thing keeping me awake." The sailor exclaimed and the rest of the crew started laughing, while the Captain raised his eyebrow in confusion.

"Not that again!" The first Mate commented walking towards them. "Cap, this guy has been saying that someone was singing late last night."

"Singing?"