Chapter 5 - hey cass!

"Are we the hunters?
Or are we the prey?
This is a wild game of survival."

word count: 4.1k

Jade pulled at her fraying blonde roots in boredom, resorting to searching Deaton's cupboards and drawers for anything that piqued her interest. After winning eight games of uno in a row against Malia, she had forced herself off the ground, sure that if she listened to the were-coyote complain that she was cheating for even one minute longer, she would resort to murder again.

They had only been in the animal clinic for an hour, but it felt like an hour too long. It was an hour she could have spent at home, gathering information for her very own crime board, the one that kept track of sensitive information she could use later on during her vicious revenge. It was an hour that she didn't want to spend stuck in a room with people she hated, watching Deaton perform invasive procedures on an unknown supernatural creature.

Aura reading hadn't proven successful: a neon blue fit Tracy's curves from the waist up, an obnoxiously bright yellow from the waist down. It was odd to see two different auras for one person but she wasn't willing to share the information with the others, frankly not caring what their opinions and theories would be. They could figure that one out for themselves.

"I think I know what she is," Stiles' voice echoed in the quietness of the room, the words magnified with every syllable. According to a message from Melissa McCall, the driver of the prison transport van had just woken up, explaining his odd symptoms to the nurse.

"Do you care to enlighten the rest of us? Because this doesn't look too good," Deaton gestured to Tracy's body, pulling up her shirt to reveal something very worrying on her back. The skin that ran down the middle of her back was misshapen, protruding out of her skin. He scrambled backwards in fright, moving his hand away from Tracy's back that had just burst open, splattering both himself and Scott directly in the faces with an unknown type of black blood.

What could only be described as something that was created during prehistoric years when dinosaurs still roamed the land was poking out of Tracy's split-open back, writhing and slithering around. A reptilian tail sent Stiles and Deaton both flying into metal tables, Tracy jumping onto her feet with a newfound sense of liveliness as she knocked all of the others down in the same way. Before anyone had a chance to stop her, she was out through the mountain ash barrier, into town to wreak havoc again.

"Kanima," Scott groaned, body hitting the floor with a thump. He could feel the paralysing venom making its way through his veins, cutting off any ability that controlled what he done.

The only person still standing was Jade. Apart from being slightly shaken, head aching from the impact of hitting the wall, she could still move. It was the same thing that happened in the sheriff's station a few years ago; when Matt had instructed the only other kanima they knew of, Jackson, to hit Jade with the venom but it hadn't worked.

It wasn't the most mysterious thing to happen in her life, but it wasn't something that she needed to waste energy trying to figure out. She could assume that it had to do with the sorcerer's dark magic— her dark magic— the magic her mother had inherited when sealing the deal on becoming a witch. With everything that was going on right now, she would happily settle on that speculation.

"Jade!" Scott shouted, faintly being able to make out his cousin's shadow walking towards the doors to the animal clinic, through the mountain ash barrier that Tracy had broken "Stay here! Cass— Jade— Jade Cassandra Pierce, don't you dare think about killing her!"

Jade slammed the door closed behind her, scowling up at the sky. "I'll do a lot fucking worse if she tries to kill me."

•   °    +   °   •