It's strange. The look on his face. He doesn't seem fazed at all.

He's so focused on avoiding telling you the truth rather than caring about your feelings right now.

"Then tell me," you urge and he swallows, turning toward the kitchen's entrance to where Junghyun was before he glances at you. "I can't," he says. 

He's unbelievable. 

There's a tensed edge to his expression and a sort of coolness in his gaze, not a look of a man who's afraid to tell the truth. You want to crack him open and make him feel remorse. 

"I was like your little experiment," you sneer, stepping close to him, almost threateningly. "Something to make you feel better about all the shit you've done. And you're sick for that. For trying to showcase all your trauma so that I could forgive you. But it doesn't work like that."

What angers you more is that he doesn't even look guilty. You cannot read his face and it annoys you to the core. 

"You only told me about the monastery. Why not about this? And don't give me crap about how none of this is true. It's in your fucking diary."

You don't even know whom to trust. "I just found out how my mom died and you're just going to delay telling me the truth?"

Your mother. Your memories. He took your whole life away from you.

And for what? Just for freedom. Just so he can live without punishment.

How could anyone be so cruel at seven? Or ten—whatever freaking age he was. He was young, you know that. But that's no excuse.

When you were ten, you were old enough to distinguish between right or wrong. So age will not nullify his reckless behavior.

Nothing can validate his muse for trying to kill you and Junghyun just to get rid of your memories. Now you know why you cannot remember much of your past.

He is the reason.

The man on your father's rap sheets. The one that started everything wrong. And now you have to deal with the consequences of making it right.

Junghyun. His brother who stayed back to save your mother but couldn't. His brother who has no idea what Jungkook is capable of.

Junghyun lost his memories and you cannot live with the fact that he has been living with Jungkook, not knowing that he started the fire and killed so many innocent people.

And who cares if that was 18 years ago? Your mother is still dead. The civilians that died in the fire have gotten no justice whatsoever. This is fucked up and Jungkook deserves a life sentence. 

He fooled everyone. Jimin. Hoseok. Namjoon. Yoongi. Tae. Jin. His friends. The people who trusted him their whole life. People who work for him. Will do anything for him.

And for Junghyun to find out this way—through a diary is insane. No one deserves that.

Besides, even if Jungkook is telling the truth, and this is just a scheme to catch the real culprit, who is he to assure you that? You can't just trust anyone. Not even his brother.

"I am taking this with me," you declare, gesturing to the diary. "I will be turning it over to the police."

Jungkook stares at you, so calmly you want to reach out and punch him.

He folds his hands to his chest. "Be my guest. I already served my sentence so that would be pointless."

You frown at him. "What?"