8.

They arrived at Meredith room. they stood outside the room as Derek crouched down in front of Aurora.

"Okay, it might a bit scary when you walk in there because of how hurt your mother is but she is going to be okay... Okay?" he said.

"Okay," she nodded.

he stood back up and opened the room door. when they walked in they saw Meredith laying in bed with her eyes closed, she looked to be sleeping.

"what happened to her leg?" Aurora asked. Meredith's leg was covered in a white cast and was held up by a pillow.

"it's broken," he said.

"and her arm?" she asked. Meredith's left arm was also covered in a white cast.

"it's also broken," he told her.

"is she sleeping?" she asked.

"I think so. how about I page your Aunt Addison, Hmm?" he said. she nodded.

he took out his pager and paged Addison. while they waited for Addison, he walked over to where Meredith was in bed.

he wasn't sure if Meredith was asleep or if she just couldn't hear that they had come into the room.

he gently placed his hand on her arm. she flinched at his touch and opened her eyes, looking up at him.

"it's okay, it's okay. I brought Aurora," he told her. he knew she couldn't hear him but maybe she could read his lips.

"Do you want to come see her?" he turned to ask Aurora.

she nodded and walked over to Meredith. she smiled at Meredith when she saw her and climbed into the bed with Meredith.

Meredith wrapped her non-broken arm around Aurora before closing her eyes again.

Derek walked away from the bed as the two cuddled in bed together. he was about to leave the room but the door opened and Dr. Montgomery walked in.

"Dr. Shepherd? what are you doing in here, are you Dr. Greys doctor?" she asked as she walked into the room and closed the door behind her.

"No, um, I'm a friend of Meredith's," he said.

"you and Meredith are friends? I'm sure she would have told me about that if it were true, and you don't seem like the kind of guy that is just friends with women and Meredith is not looking for a relationship so you can go. why did you page me?" she said all at once.

"for Aurora. Meredith is going to be in the hospital for a while and she needs someone to take care of her. I would have called her father but I've already heard the story of him leaving her in an alley and I didn't want to leave her alone with him,"

"well, you've got that right," she sighed as she looked over at Meredith and Aurora.

"did you put her in there with her?" she asked him.

"No, she went in there herself,"

"does Nathan know about Meredith's condition? if he knows then he's going to want to take Aurora since Meredith can't do anything about it," Addison said.

"No, he doesn't know,"

"good, don't tell him." she said.

"do you think he'll try stopping by her place?" he asked out of curiosity.

"he's broken into her house before so he might, but as long as Aurora's staying with me he'll have no business there," she said as she walked over to Meredith's bed and started going through her charts.

"I live next door so I'll keep an eye on it," he said.

"you live next door to Meredith?" she asked turning to look at him.

"yes,"

"you're the hot neighbor she's been talking about?" she said furrowing her brows.

well I mean you are her type," she mumbled before turning back around to look through the charts.

he smiled small to himself at knowing Meredith found him attractive but it soon faded when he remembered her condition and that she had no one, other then her daughter and Addison, but one person and a child isn't a lot.

"so Aurora's going to be staying with you while Meredith is in the hospital?" he asked.

"yes, is there a problem?" she said.

"No, I just wanted to make sure she was somewhere safe. I'm going to go check on some patients," he said before he left Addison alone in the room with Meredith and Aurora.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Words: 722

Suggestions??