Falling

Ace

The stable boy begins to tire as the sun dips low in the sky. Hale is exhausted, and bruised, both thanks to me. We had spent the first part of the day teaching him how to suppress his fire, and the second half how to use and control it. He's done well, though he still has a long way to go. He still makes me nervous. I'd be lying if I said it was just because of his Cinderous qualities. Hale Arsen is dangerous for other reasons.

The ride back to town is quiet as twilight begins to darken the sky. Hale rides ahead of us, and the stable boy's arms wrap around my rib cage. His arms are wirey, and I can't keep myself from worrying about how much he's eating. Even his clothing is both too big for him and too small at the same time. He is far too thin.

"Stable boy." I say.

He jolts a little. He had been close to sleep. "Yes, Ace?"

"What's your name?"

He sniffles, clearing the sleep from his throat. "Ciel. It's a Par'ki name. It means sky."

"Ciel." I repeat, tasting the name on my lips.

"And you, Ace? What name did your parents call you?"

My name. Very few people in the ridge know of it. "Everyone just calls me the Ace."

"Everyone just calls me the stable boy." His arms tighten around me as the lights of the ridge come into view.

I give a small smile, though he can't see it. "It's Alice."

"Alice." He says. "It's nice."

Hale looks back at me. I wonder if he heard. I wonder if Hale Arsen knows my name.

Most people are already in their homes for the night by the time we make our way up the cobbled road to the stables. Ciel slides down from Crow's back and I follow suit, giving Crow a brief nose rub. "Tinsei ixtarr." I whisper to him. Good boy.

"I'll brush them down before putting them up for the night." Ciel says, taking hold of the reigns of both horses.

"Thank you, Stable boy." Hale says.

"Would you like me to bring you breakfast tomorrow? From Fortress's kitchen?" I ask

Ciel looks startled when he sees me looking at him. "Me?"

"Of course. You could use a good meal, it seems."

The thin boy swallows hard. "I'm not allowed food from Fortress's kitchen's, Ace. It's okay. I do fine on my own."

Hale's eyebrows furrow. "You're too thin. If you're going to be helping me like this, I want you to be fed and dressed. I will come tomorrow with new clothing for you as well. Even the stableskeep deserves new clothes."

My heart warms. Hale doesn't show he cares very often. This is an act of kindness from him. I feel almost proud of him.

"How long have you had those?" Hale gestures to Ciel's clothing. I've never seen the boy in anything besides these same brown burlap pants and the same too-short shirt. His pants hang low on his bony hips, too big around, but only cover down to his calves. The days when this outfit suited his body have long since passed.

"I can't accept your kindness, My Lord, nor yours, Alice. If Velius found out..."

"I'll inform him that it looks bad on Fortress if our employees aren't well taken care of. Many guests see you as they approach. You should be looking like we take well care of you."

Ciel's mouth does a small dance as he tries to find words. He tugs at the bottom hem of his shirt, where it ends just below his rib cage. "I- I don't-"

"You're allowed to accept kindness, Ciel." I take a step forward, reaching out as if to touch him, but stopping myself at the last moment.