Chapter 13: Best friend

"Morning, Zoebear." Dad greeted. I was eating cinnamon oatmeal when Dad woke up. I was reading while eating breakfast and I was so engrossed in my novel I didn't even notice Dad come in.

"Hey. I was just finishing up. I'm about to head to the bus stop." I said grabbing my backpack and my book, The Heir by Kiera Cass.

I stepped out of the house and it was cold. Good thing I wore a comfy navy blue pull over with black tights and brown leather knee high boots. I wore a necklace to spice up my outfit a little.

My back pack was hanging by my shoulder. I felt someone grab it and I immediately turned around to see Connor.

"You scared me!" I screamed.

"Sorry, but I've got great news!" He was panting probably because he ran to me.

"What?"

"But first, about yesterday. I hope I didn't give you the wrong signal. It was just an impulse of the moment and I'm really sorry."

"Oh. I-It's okay. I didn't think of it that way." I lied.

"Great. So, I asked Pepper out on that Movie Under the Stars."

"And?"

"She said yes! Can you believe it?!?!"

"T-That's amazing! I'm so happy for you." I was trying to hide my disappointment, and I'm glad he didn't notice it. Anyways, I knew we would never work out. He couldn't possibly be with me. He was way out of my league. Guys like him don't date girls like me. It was just the way it was.

We were walking to the bus stop side by side. He had the biggest smile while I had this embarrassed let down expression.

I was happy that he didn't insist on a conversation about how he asked Pepper out because that would just probably kill me. I hated myself! Why would I make myself believe that a guy like Connor would actually date me?!?! Maybe it was because we got close during our tutoring sessions. Maybe it was his annoying irritating spirit that made me go crazy. I don't know!

The bus ride to school was like any ordinary bus ride. People sat on their usual places except Connor and Pepper. They sat together at the second row. I decided to sit at the back alone. I was staring at the window when someone appeared beside me.

"Is this seat taken?" Peter asked with that crooked smile. I just smiled and he sat beside me. I continued to stare at the window hoping he didn't want to talk, but knowing Peter, he always wanted to talk.

"Are you okay?" He asked looking concerned.

"Yeah. I'm fine." I answered.

"Zoe, seriously? I know you enough to know that when you say 'I'm fine' it actually means 'I'm dying inside'. So, better save me the time and just tell me."

"Fine. I've just been friend zoned. This guy kissed me then suddenly said it was just an impulse of the moment. Then, I find out he just asked out this other girl yesterday."

"I'm guessing this guy is Connor Harries and this other girl is no other than Pepper Jones."

I was stunned. How the heck did Peter know?!?!

"How did you know?" I asked.

"I noticed the way you looked at him when you guys schedule tutoring sessions. Also, the meeting, both of you were spacing out."

"Promise me you won't tell anyone."

"Your secret's safe with me, Zoebear."

"Oh my gosh! It's been so long since you called me that!" I laughed.