Chapter 3: Algebra and Pepper

Today is the official first day of high school slash senior year. Pep and I have been waiting all our high school lives to become a senior. Why do you ask? Well, it's because there are a whole lot of perks. First, seniors are usually the hottest people in the school. Yes, there are few other exceptions like that JV football player, Luke Styles and the sophomore sister of Pepper, Ginger. Second, we could go to the teacher's lounge. There's a billiard table, a Foosball, and they have really nice vending machines.

"Hey, Zoe Meyers right?" I turn around to see Connor Harries, the football team's MVP.

"Yes. Why do you ask?" I wondered trying to sound a little snobby.

"I need your help."

"In what?"

"Actually, there are two things I need your help in. Algebra and Pepper."

I stopped and stared for a moment because I totally got the Algebra part 'cause I am the top student in Algebra class. I didn't mean to sound braggy, but it's true. Though, what I didn't get is why he needed my help with Pepper.

"So...are you helping me?" He asked.

"What do I get?" I asked him knowing I had the upper hand.

"You get to keep your volleyball captain position."

"What the heck are you doing talking about?!?!"

"I overhead Principal Steuby taking to the school board about your trial. I think it was about your cheating incident."

"I swear I did not cheat!"

"Yeah, but it looked like it. They said they won't expel you, but instead they would give the captain position to Peter."

"They can't do that! I-I have to talk to Principal Steuby." I started walking well sprinting away from Connor when he caught up and asked me with his blue twinkling eyes and dirty blonde hair begging me for help, "Zoe, are you helping me?"

I replied, "I'll give you an answer after I talk to Mr. Steuby."

*

*

*

"Ms. Meyers, you are lucky that Mr. Harries has offered a plan to help you save your position." The principal explained.

"That is me helping him pass Algebra?"

"Yes. It would be devastating if Cornwall lost his best football player on our most important season."

"I guess..." I answered thinking the obvious favoritism on the sports varsities. Mr. Steuby was concerned in losing the best football player, but of course why would he be concerned if the volleyball team lost its best captain.

"Then, I believe we have a deal Ms. Meyers."

"I believe so."

I got up and left the room devastated. I couldn't believe this! I am forced into helping the golden boy of this school just so that he could keep his captain position. From all freakin' captains, they just had to choose me; the one who couldn't stand this arrogant, selfish brat of a captain.

Connor was waiting outside staring at the ground. I was hoping really hard that he didn't notice me step out. I was half-convinced he didn't see me.

"Zoe, you still owe me an answer." He called out with his smug face.

"Well, it's a 'yes'." I replied trying to show him that I wasn't really happy with this arrangement.

"Great. I'll meet you at your locker after class tomorrow. Then, we could go to my house to study."

"Sure."

*

*

*

I was looking at the lunch served at the cafeteria today and it was disgusting. It was supposedly a hamburger, but the meat looked overcooked. The buns were all sloppy. The lettuce and tomatoes looked like they were on the verge of rotting and ketchup was smeared all over it. So, no thank you.

I was reading Chinese Cinderella and drinking coffee from the vending machine instead of eating lunch when Pepper sat beside me. She had this irritated face and her eyes looked furious. Oh gosh, she knows!

"How could you?!?! I thought we were friends. Best friends in fact." Tears started building up on Pepper's eyes.

"I promise you, I could explain."

A/N: Cliff-hanger! I know, but I love doing that. Mwah ha ha ha ha XD Anyways, I hope you guys are starting to get the feel of this story. Tell me what you think. Open to suggestions. Comment, vote, share. No harsh comments.