Chapter 8: Enormous Volleyball

I was thrown off by Pepper's question.

"What do you mean?" I asked trying to make it look like I've got no clue.

"Come on, Zoe. You obviously have a huge crush on Peter." She said with a sly smile on her face.

"Is it really that obvious?!?!"

"Ah! I knew it. This would be so romantic!"

"Romantic? You're talking about me and Peter; possibly the two worst romantics in the entire world."

"Nonsense! This would be just like the movie Love Rosie. You know, best friends falling in love."

"Okay. First, you have got to stop watching these romance movies. Two, I don't think he likes me."

"Are you serious?!?! Zoe Monica Meyers, you are probably the most dense person in this planet!"

"Uggh! Come on. Let's get to class. We don't want to be late for Gym."

"Poe or Zeter? Which ship name do you prefer?" Pepper started giggling.

"Shut up! Someone might here you."

We walked to the gym and changed to our Gym class uniforms. We girls wore these green shorts (CHS's school color) with a white shirt which had to be plain.

As Pepper and I entered, we noticed we were the first ones. I guess people thought it was okay to be a little late for gym class since our coach wasn't really strict about it. Also, coach was my uncle.

"Hey, Pep and Zoebear." Coach Meyers greeted.

"Uncle Dan, please! Stop calling me Zoebear. I'm eighteen not eight." I complained.

"Whatever you say, Zoebe-"

"Coach!"

Pepper was just laughing since she's heard my family members call me this. I remember when Dad accidentally said Zoebear and this was the first time Pep heard anyone call me that. She kept laughing for five minutes, but she didn't stop there. She would have sudden laughing outbursts in school and people would keep asking why.

After a few minutes, the class was complete so Coach explained the activity.

He said with his loud voice, "I need two volunteers to be captain. Don't be scared 'cause today's task isn't so hard."

No one was raising their hand and people were trying to avoid eye contact with Coach.

"I can do it!" I slowly raised my hand.

"Me too!" Another voice said. It was low and masculine and I've got to admit a little sexy. I whipped my head to see Connor raising his hand and I completely take back what I said about his voice being sexy.

Coach smiled slyly and said, "this is going to be fun!"

We chose our teammates and of course Pepper was in mine. Connor mostly got football players which was fine with me since I wouldn't have chosen them. I also noticed that my team was filled with girls and Connor's was filled with guys.

"Okay. I guess we're doing boys vs girls today." Coach chuckled.

The girls screamed while the boys had a weird low groan. I think that's the guy version of a scream.

Coach announced, "today, we are playing volleyball."

"Yes!" I screamed.

"No," Connor said, "this is unfair! Zoe is the volleyball team's captain."

"So," I replied, "it's one out of twelve other team members."

"Yeah, but the volleyball team is dominated by women and so is your team."

"Sorry, you have bad choosing skills."

"Don't push me, Meyers."

"Why so threatened, Harries?"

"Me? Threatened? You guys are just a bunch of girls!"

There was a loud gasp from my team.

"You are so going to regret that." I swore.

"Bring it on." He challenged.

The two teams huddled and got to position. We were so ready to kick those guys' asses.

"Wait! There's a little twist on this volleyball." Coach said with a creepy smile, "We won't be using an ordinary volleyball. We will be using this."

We all looked to wear his crooked finger pointed. We were going to use a yoga/stretch ball. It was massive. I don't know how one person could serve that enormous ball.

"Okay. You don't have to stay in your proper positions. It doesn't have to just be one person touching the ball. It could be five or even all of you. The main point is to get that ball over the net and hope it falls on the ground in the other team's side."

Coach blew his whistle and we got to serve first.

Natalie, Pepper, and I were trying to bring the ball closer to the net as we were bouncing it up and down in the air. We tossed up and I hit it. I lunged forward passing the net and in to the other team's side. They were struggling to keep it in the air. The boys were to big and they ended up bumping each other when they attempted to use the technique we did. I turned around to look at Pepper's reaction then I blacked out.

*

*

*

I woke up and my head was pounding. I saw a light and heard sounds. I knew they were people, but I couldn't understand what they were saying. My cloudy vision finally cleared up and I could see Pepper, Coach, and Connor all staring at me. I was lying on the gym floor and now everyone was circled around me.

"Gosh! What happened?" I groaned.

"Are you feeling alright?" Coach asked.

"I just have a slight headache, but other than that I'm fine." I sat up and Pepper gave a hand to help me up.

"The volleyball came fast and hit you on the face." Pepper explained.

"Oh." I said feeling embarrassed.

Coach said, "Guys, you can all go now. Zoe I think you should go to nurse Susan. Oh, and Connor accompany her."

Everyone's eyes darted to Connor then me. Everyone knew I hated him and now people think we like each other and we're using this tutor thing as an excuse. Now, he has to accompany me to the nurse's office.

"Let's go." Connor said sounding disappointed as I am.

A/N: WHAT UP?? I hope you guys are liking it so far. Please please please tell me what you think by commenting!! I want to know what you think even if it's negative, but please say it in a nice way :D

Also, I just want to fangirl about the Selection series by Kiera Cass. I ♡♡♡♡ it!! It's super nice :))) I'm so in love with Prince Maxon. He's just the perfect guy for America!! Tell me if your for Team Maxon or Team Aspen even if she ends up with Maxon. TEAM MAXON FOR EVAHHHH. Sorry to all the Team Aspen peeps ;)

Anyway Comment, Vote, Share.
Love ya'

♡b