Sticking around

Începe de la început

"Embarrassed mostly, ashamed, the usual," Katara grinned a little.

"Talk," he motioned and she smiled more with a small laugh.

"Umm I told Aang we're not friends with this shit, I told him he's childish and I'm an idiot for wasting my time, and he was just being irritating about you and me being in a relationship in the past, asking if he stayed that could've been him, but I just can't stand him anymore, that's not the kid I met and thought would save the world," Katara put her face in her hands shaking her head.

"Would he?" Zuko asked curiously.

"What?" She looked back at him.

"Have a chance if he stayed?" He shrugged.

She was quiet looking at him sadly. But she shook her head.

"I don't think I'd ever be happy if I was with Aang, I'd be a constant nag and mothering him, that's not a partnership," Katara explained quietly.

"Plus I always thought you were more handsome," she hummed softly.

"Oh so you were only with me for my good looks?" Zuko teased.

"Yep that's the only reason," Katara snorted leaning on him a little. He leaned back resting his cheek on the top of her head.

"We're okay right?" She whispered closing her eyes.

"I would think so," he nodded.

"Is it okay that I want to be involved with the kids?" She asked.

"I'm happy you want to but kat are you going to stick around?" Zuko looked down at her unsure.

"You want me to stick around?" Katara pursed her lips.

"I'd love you to stick around, but kat I thought you didn't want to be tied down, to be able to go out and help those in need? I'm sorry but if you want to help raise them were limited on going out in the world like before," Zuko touched her hand gently and they intertwined their fingers.

"What if I was okay with that?" She squeezed his hand.

"You want to be a mother? But you said-" "im stupid when I'm in love,"

"What are you looking for in the future then? Where are we going?" Zuko asked slowly and she grabbed his other hand.

"I know it's not like we can unfreeze time to be what we use to but that life we were going to have... I keep imagining what I missed or could've had, and I know it's my fault but Zuko I've always imagined it with you," she held their hands together as Zuko smiled softly down at her.

"Fuck I have such a weak spot for you," he shook his head and kissed her forehead.

"And when the years go by and the boys are a little older, i know you always wanted a big family..." Katara kept going as she hummed a little.

"We should start with the one we already have my love," Zuko kept his eyes only on her.

"Do we call her mom now or what?" They heard next to them and the adults looked to the side seeing the twins peaking.

"Aren't you suppose to be napping?" Zuko asked flatly.

"You talk loud," Ren groaned hanging on aito.

"So do you want us calling you mom?" Aito asked now, Ren was the one who spoke before.

"You two can call me what ever you are comfortable with, but I'm guessing you two were listening to your father and I?" Katara pulled away and knelt down to the children.

"Yes," they both nodded.

"Are you okay with me being your mother? Being a parent to you?" She asked softly looking at each twin.

"I am," aito smiled excited.

"Maybe she can get pops off our asses so much," Ren giggled. Zukos jaw dropped.

"Who taught you that word?!" He cried out.

"Uncle Sokka,"

"Don't listen to your uncle," he whined covering his face.

"So can we go home now?" Ren asked hopeful.

"Not get buddy, but... now we're going to be with a lot of family, and tomorrow with your birthdays your going to have so many people to be with," Zuko joined Katara to be at the boys height.

"There's going to be change but I'm sure you guys can handle it right? Your strong kids," he smiled gently.

"Yes sir!" Ren clenched his fists excited for adventure.

"Okay papa," aito nodded understanding.

He felt a hand on his shoulder and looked at Katara who nodded assuringly. Aito smiled again and wrapped his arms around his mother.

"Thank you," he whispered in her ear hugging her tightly. Kataras breath hitched at the child's touch but she hugged him back.

"I'm not going anywhere," she whispered back giving him a small squeeze.

Aang watched the four as Katara held aitos cheek gently and Ren went to hug her as well while Zuko watched patiently.

He sighed deeply and wiped a single tear that escaped on his cheek, shaking his head, they'd never last. He still couldn't believe they would ever be compatible in a relationship. But he was here now to help in the war. Not knowing how long it'll be for.