Bunny Rabbits

A/N: once upon a time, and now in the present

tsukaka tenma

next few chapters will be focused more on rui so stay tuned

Saki remembers it very clearly, although her brother probably does not.

The day she was set to be moved to another prefecture for her medical care was already a big day for the Tenmas in-and-of itself, but there's something about that day that has been haunting her mind the past days— something that she's not sure she should have dismissed back then.

Though a sad moment, Tsukasa's last "hospital show" for her in a few years was... eccentric, to say the least. It was the story of a bunny who wasn't able to follow its dream due to the fact it suffered from a deadly curse— fear. The bunny could not go very far without turning back, hopelessly terrified of everything around it.

The bunny then went on a journey to find the great mage of the kingdom to reverse its curse. However, along the way, it made a lot of friends— an excitable puppy, an angry-but-soft-on-the-inside cat, a gentle and caring bird, and so on. It was very heartwarming, that Saki remembers.

Upon finding the great mage of the kingdom (played by Tsukasa himself), the bunny, trying to explain its symptoms to the great mage, found there was no example of them it could think of in its story. The bunny, accompanied by its friends, had unknowingly fulfilled the prophecy for its curse. It had, one by one, gotten over its fears by the time it had reached the great kingdom.

The mage, astonished by its journey, gave it a gift; the gift of going home. The bunny returned safely towards its house, magically, and it was able to throw a giant party with its friends, the end. Behind the motivational meaning of it all, Saki really enjoyed it; and she would be sure to remember it all of the time she spent away. But...

There was something wrong with Tsukasa.

Saki then wouldn't have known what it was. Saki now knows it very clearly.

Her brother had given up.

The light in his eyes was gone. The emotion in his words was fabricated. He was trying to make Saki happy, yet, Saki didn't sense those same feelings in him, revisiting that memory now.

She wouldn't, for him.

Tsukasa was trying to make her feel safe on one of the most terrifying days of her life, the day she would be separated from him for a very long time. And— and even if he didn't feel good himself, he wanted to share that feeling with her. And Saki would hold the frail petals of good in her hands as if she'd die if she didn't.

Her brother had given up, and he had been carrying that burden since then— maybe even before then.

Saki wouldn't let it drag him down. Saki wouldn't let it drag her down.