Midnight Confessions, or Well, Whatever This Is

A/N: akito talks. a lot. kind of a lot. also he's in the-nile about enjoying rui's pet pats lolololol

warnings: a lot of talk about akitos dad that i just pulled out from like. a hat or smth. i just really hate him because i kin both akito and ena <3

-

"What now?" ended up being "let's talk on call for the next few hours because your voice is comforting", and it wasn't until 2 am that Tsukasa ended up falling asleep while Rui rambled on about robots and directing and stage effects and plants. He didn't take any offense to it, because he knew it was less Tsukasa being bored with his talking and more of his voice having the inherent sleepiness effect it tends to have on people.

It made him wonder how many days Tsukasa had spent like this, not asking for help from his sister or his friends and staying up very late just to wake up very early the next morning with as much energy as he usually has, or appears to have. He supposes he can't judge, as he does that himself very often.

"D'ya hang up?"

The voice, this time, didn't come from the pink hair on his lap or his phone, but from the ginger "sleeping" beside him.

"I knew you weren't asleep, hm? Why have you just been listening to us instead of joining in the talk, Shinonome-kun?" Rui finally turned off his phone, smiling down at Akito.

One of his hands snuck to his hair, and Akito seemed to reluctantly accept the touch, which made him smile even wider.

"Why'd you lie to him, if you knew I was awake, then?"

"Tsukasa-kun thinks you hate him. If I told him you were awake, he'd probably try to "act good" in front of you. I wouldn't have been able to help him then."

"Tch. I do hate him."

"Sure, sure. If that's what you want to believe."

"Tenma-senpai sounds so different when he's not being loud, though. He just sounds kind of-"

"-sad?" Rui finished. "Yeah, it's pretty easy to notice. You're not the first person with that interpretation."

Silence fell over the two, but not precisely an uncomfortable one. Simply, silence.

"I still hate how you go about doing things. But... you yourself aren't too bad, I guess, if we ignore the whole "settin' off bombs at school" thing."

"That's reasonable. In fact, you're the first person to read me quite so easily. You must have encountered someone you really hate that does that sort of... let's say, talking, often to be able to spot it so quickly on others."

"....."

"Is that a yes? You don't have to share if you don't want to, of course, but I am curious to see who this person you hate so much that you relate me to could be." Rui kept patting his head.