23 | nicknames?

Yeji

Reaching for the other side of the bed, I jolted up when I realized I was all alone. Everything that happened last night felt like a dream. Her hand stopping me felt like fire burning my skin, but its warmth asking me not to go—that I should stay until the flames run out.

I still refuse to think that I took care of her due to my actions I've shown the past week, but out of instinct, I knew how much I wanted to make it up to her.

I wasn't cognizant of my own behavior until last night, where she was then again, vulnerable and weak. Everything that has happened just started sinking in, and I've come to realize that I am there with her at her lowest.

I've seen her cry, beaten and bruised, and terrified like a child—all of which was a sight I do not wish to see once more. It didn't suit her, not at all. But I have loved holding her close to me at those times of need.

"Ryujin?" I called, but there was only silence that answered back. She was here no more, and knowing that her state isn't great due to the fight, I was worried.

How did she get home?

I made my way downstairs and noticed that the blood stained floor is already polished and cleaned. The broken vase near the balcony was gone. The couch was also arranged. It's as if nothing happened.

She did leave.

I don't know what to feel, but the urge to see her once more made me realize how much I'm starting to care about her.

I know how dangerous feelings can be. But still, I let it happen. Playing with fire is a game I've always gambled my life with.

But is it a game I can win?

I headed towards the kitchen to grab a glass of water when I noticed a plate of pancakes with maple syrup on the table. It had a note beside it, one with a very distinctive handwriting.

'Good morning, Yeji. I hope you had a great slumber. Take this as thanks for taking care of me last night. I also want to apologize for barging in. Don't worry, I left my spare key on the table so it won't happen again. Hoping I'll see you later at the office?

p.s. the pancakes are safe. eat up! — ryujin'

The last line made me smile as I shook my head out of disbelief. I dug in to the pancakes she cooked for me and added a little more syrup. It was still warm, and after having a few bites I can say it tastes succulent.

After eating breakfast, I grabbed my phone and opened the messaging app, contemplating whether or not to thank her.

A little gratitude wouldn't hurt, right?

Her number was already on my screen and I've already typed in what I want to say but I can't find the courage to press send.

What am I doing?

I took a deep breath and deleted the message, finding myself calling her number instead. 

[Dialling Ryujin Shin...]

"...Yeji?"

The second she answered, my heart started racing. What am I going to say again?

"...Hello?" She spoke once more.

"R-ryujin. Hey, uh..."

"Oh hey. Is there anything wrong?"

"No, no. I just...want to thank you for the breakfast." On the other end, I heard her chuckle. It was a relief to hear it.

"You don't have to thank me but you're welcome." She replied. "How'd they taste?"

"Great. I didn't know you cook."

"Barely, but I try my best." She said.

It was silence on the other end, but I knew she's just looking for the right words to say.

"Look, about last night..."

"Don't sweat it. It's all good." I told her and sat on the countertop. "How are you, by the way?"

"Worse. It hurts everywhere."

"You shouldn't go to work, then." I said. However, I already know what she's going to answer me being the stubborn girl she is.

"You know I can't." She replied and sighed.

"I'm actually saving some energy for later because I have to drive myself to the office. My body's still processing all the events that happened last night and Sebastian isn't around."

"Oh...Is that so?"

"Unfortunately."

"Do you ride motorcycles, by any chance?" I asked her, biting my lip. I was nervous.

"Why'd you ask?"

"I-I uh... I can pick you up instead. I drive a ducati."

"I don't want to bother you anymore, Yeji. I've caused enough trouble. I think I'll manage."

"And if you get into an accident? I would feel like that would be on me, Ryu."

"......It's the second time you called me that."

"What?"

"Ryu. Is that your nickname for me?"

"I guess so?"

"Alright then, Yeddeong."

"Yeddeong?"

"My nickname for you."

"You're not serious, aren't you?"

"Oh I am. It's kind of cute. It doesn't suit your strong demeanor, but that's kind of the point."

I shook my head and smiled. She's really something else.

"I guess I'll call you Ryuddaeng, then."

"Ryu— what?"

"Ryuddaeng."

"Where did that come from??"
She replied, laughing.

"See! Now you understand my grudge."

"Whatever you say, Yeddeong. Now get ready! We'll be late."

"Oh...Right." I laughed, clearly forgetting we have work. "See you, Ryujin."

"I thought it's Ryuddaeng?"

"....ryuddaeng." A smile crept on my face when I heard her small laughs on the other end.

"Good. See you, Yeddeong."