11 | sick in the stomach

Ryujin

"No. I can't fly all the way to Sydney tomorrow, unnie. I have lots on my shoulders right now and you know that."

I'm on a call with Roseanne, the eldest out of us three. She's currently in Australia and she's asking me to bring some of her stuff to her. I told her to talk to dad, but knowing how their argument went the last time, she wouldn't.

Our family's been torn apart the moment mom died. But I knew, ever since, that our family's meant to break sooner or later. Peace wasn't just in my family's vocabulary. It's always been that way and it's never going to change.

Still. I'm not losing hope. Mom wouldn't want us to be like this anyway. However, the inevitable consequences are always sitting around the corner. War between families will never come to an end as long as there's someone owing the other, or if acts of treason takes place. It's a war to be in this bloodline, a cycle of hatred that I've always wanted to stop.

"I'll ask Sebastian to deliver it there. I really can't do businesses outside the country, unnie." Sighing, I really hope she comes back to Korea soon. Without her here, It's hard to check on Yuna. That girl only listens to her.

So much for being the middle child.

I was still talking to Roseanne when Yeji entered my office. She didn't look at me but I was surprised when she slowly slid my coaster towards her and placed a cup of coffee on my table. Based on the design, it's from the shop in front of the office where I also get coffee from.

Wait, did I even ask her to buy one for me?

I looked at her but she still stood silent and checked out the papers on her desk. "Yes, unnie. Keep safe. I'll see you soon. Bye." I ended the call and walked towards my table, grabbing what she bought for me.

"My memory can get bad sometimes but I don't remember asking you to buy anything for me." I spoke. She stopped writing.

"I...I just thought you wanted something to drink. Talking for hours can get exhausting. I figured your throat might be dry."

That's...sweet of her.

"Well then, thank you. How much do I owe you?" I took out my wallet and handed her a couple bucks when she shook her head and declined.

"You don't need to pay me, Miss Shin."

"It's Ryujin when we're alone, remember?" She smiled shyly and finally met my eyes.

There it is again.

That fluttering feeling I can't seem to get rid of.

I feel sick, but surprisingly, in a good way.

I can't utterly explain it.

"Again, it's on me. No need to pay me back, Ryujin." She said. She carefully shoved my hand back to me.

I wouldn't argue any further. "Fine. I guess I'll just add it to your bank account." I replied, outsmarting her.

"But—"

"No buts, Yeji." I got back on my seat and turned my laptop on to continue where I left off before roseanne decided to call.

I took a sip of the warm coffee she got for me and immediately recognized its taste. Café Au Lait. A cliché favorite. Unknowingly, a smile crept on my face.

It's been a long, tiring day.

But for some reason, my assistant's making it a little better.

--

Yeji

"I'm all done." Rising up from my seat, I handed all the paper work I did today. I checked my watch and surprisingly finished early.

"I am as well. Thanks to you." She replied, closing her laptop. "So, any plans?" She asked me.

"Plans?"

"Hmm. I'm starving. If you don't have anything to do tonight we can get dinner downtown. My treat this time in exchange for the coffee."

"I don't think that's appropriate for others to see," I told her. "You're my boss and—"

"Why? Did you think that it would just be us?" She said and gave a small laugh.

Was I wrong?

"Lia's coming. I already invited her." She continued. "My apologies for not clarifying."

"Are you in?" she asked again, her eyes waiting for an answer. She was fiddling with her fingers and she seemed... nervous.

It's odd how good she is at expressing her emotions. One i'm not good at.

"I'd like to, but I have other plans tonight. A friend invited me for dinner, too."

I almost forgot Winter's offer earlier and I honestly don't want to eat out with Ryujin.

You all know why.

"I see." She said and looked down. "I guess I'll see you tomorrow, then?"

"Of course." I gave her a smile before heading towards the door. I was about to leave when she called my name once again.

"Yeji?"

I looked back at her, waiting for the next words to come outside of her mouth. What does she want?

"Nothing...Enjoy your dinner."

Oh.

Thanks, I guess?

"You too, Ryujin."