funeral

Luz stood in the mirror, wiping the tear tracks off her face with a damp napkin. Her lungs ached, and her cheeks burned. She took a deep breath, closing her eyes. She looked at herself once more in the mirror before leaving the restroom. She walked slowly to the door frame leading to the dining room, leaning against it. The bright, sunlit, room was blinding compared to the dim hallways.

In the room sat families upon families, enjoying meals as small talk filled the air. Luz didn't understand how anyone could be eating right now. The smell of fresh dirt from the cemetery lingered in her nose, making her nauseous. She turned away from the crowd, walking back down the hallway. She passed the bathrooms and walked into a small foyer, containing a sofa and a lounge chair.

She sat on the sofa, resting her head on the arm. She crossed her arms over her body, stiffling a sob. Tears threatened her eyes, and vomit clawed at her throat. She pulled herself upright, bringing her hands to her eyes to wipe them.

Slowly dragging herself up off the sofa, Luz decided to go take a walk around the funeral home to clear her mind. She started off down a long hallway, slowly tracing the wallpaper designs with her finger. She rounded a corner, almost bumping straight into someone.

"Shit, I'm sorry," Luz croaked, looking up at the figure.

"No sweat. How are you holding up?"

"As good as I can. How are you, Hunter?"

He leaned against the wall.

"As good as I can be," The blond remarked.

Luz forced a weak smile. Every muscle in her face throbbed.

The two sat in silence, staring into the other's eyes.

"Where's Willow?" Luz questioned.

"Laying down. I don't know how anyone could be eating right now," Hunter shrugged, looking away from the brunette.

She nodded.

"I'll see you later, I'm gonna go find Willow," Luz motioned behind the boy.

It was his turn to nod.

Hunter pulled Luz into an embrace, resting his chin on her head.

"Okay. Love you," He breathed.

"Love you too,"

The hug broke and Luz continued down the hallway. She walked into another sitting room, seeing a lump of dark hair on a sofa.

She creeped up next to the girl. She laid in silence, staring into silence.

"Hey Willow,"

The girl looked up, pushing herself up into a sitting position.

"Hi Luz. How are you?"

"As good as I can be. You?" She answered.

"As good as I can be,"

A silence fell over the two. Every conversation Luz's had today was the exact same.

"Have you spoken to the twins?" Willow asked. "Emira said she has something for you,"

Luz shook her head.

"No, I haven't. Thanks, I'll go find them,"

She hugged her friend, told her she loves her, and walked back toward the dining room, figuring they were probably with Odalia and Alador.

She reached the door way and scanned the room. She was right, Emira sat at a small round table with her parents. She hesitantly made her way across the room.

"Luz," Edric spoke up.

The table looked in her direction, softly smiling. She returned the favor.

"Have a seat, sweetheart," Alador offered, motioning to the empty chair beside him.

"Oh, I would love to, but I was actually about to head home. I just came to check on you guys," She excused herself.

He nodded.

"Hey," Emira whispered. "Amity told us to give this to you,"

Luz turned to look at her.

The witch handed Luz a thick book. She remembered the cover from the night her and Amity became friends. It was her diary.

Her throat began to swell.

"Thank you. All. Thank you all. I'll see you around,"

She turned, her fake smile fading immediately. She hurried out of the room, then out of the building in whole.

She stood on the carport of the funeral home, holding the book arms-length away from her. She smiled, remembering the night the twins showed her Amity's secret room at the library. Her face turned sour as she realized Amity had once held this book, once touched the pages. Luz's heart began to pound as she realized she was holding the last words of her girlfriend. Placing the book in her bag, she began her walk home. She did not want to read a dead girl's diary.