•05•

I lay on my cushy, dark bed. Sprawled out in a star position, looking at the dark, gray ceiling, following the intricate patterns with my eyes. I could barely see, a total of three candles making up the light filling the gigantic room.

I wanted my life back. I wanted to be with my family. I wanted to see my old friends. I wanted to be back at my old, one-story house. I wanted to go to the park with my friends again. I wanted to go to our favorite movie theater. I wanted my late nights as a waitress at the Grille, carpooling home with my work friends. I wanted to go home.

But I made a deal. I can't leave. I have to stay here, and never see my family again.

I remind myself why I did this. I did this to save my father. To save his life. To cure him of his cancer. So that my parents could live happily together for years. So they could grow old together. So my little brother or sister may have a good life, with a father.

All of a sudden, a soft knock came at my door, causing me to lurch up quickly, sitting on the edge of the bed, shaking me out of my thoughts.

Death waltzed in, "Liking your new bed?"

"I guess." I replied. I couldn't help feeling sorry for myself, even though I hated thinking like this.

Death frowned and sat on my bed with me, cocking his head, "Are you okay?"

I laughed bitterly, "As if you care."

I didn't know what was going on with me. I just felt angry and irritated. I didn't care about anything. Nothing mattered. I felt kinda numb.

"Don't use that tone with me, Evalyn." Death warned, "Now tell me what's bothering you."

"No." I rolled my eyes.

"Evalyn. I suggest you stop right now." Death's voice started to rise, "Tell me what the fuck is wrong before I'm forced to punish it out of you."

"Do whatever you want to me." I glared at him, "No matter what I do, you'll punish me anyway. You don't actually care. I can't stop you. You're going to punish me at some point, so get it over with."

He froze at my harsh tone. His hands grabbed my wrists tightly and snarled in my face, "Tell me, right now. Evalyn, I swear you're going to wish you just cooperated with me."

"I don't care. Do what you want. I can't stop you." I sighed, not feeling anything at all.

Death sighed and got off me, making my eyes widen. Death raked a pale hand through his messy, dark hair, "I don't say this often, so if this doesn't get you to answer me, I don't know what will. Tell me what's wrong Evalyn, please."

My head whipped around to look at him. Did Death just say, "please" to me? Like actually asked me nicely?

"I'm just..." I paused. What was I feeling?

He looked at me expectantly and I sighed, "I don't know. Homesick. Sad. Lonely. Angry? I have no idea what I'm feeling. And I don't really care either. I don't care about anything."

I felt arms snake around my waist, pulling me into a warm chest, "You've only been here for a few hours and you already hate it here?"

"What else did you expect?" I mumbled, "I was taken from my family and now I have to live in Hell as a slave."

"No, no you're not a slave." Death corrected, "You just help me out when I need it. And for your help, you get large meals, a nice bed in my castle, and a lot more. Trust me, it's a better life than your one before."

"Sure. Because a nice family and amazing friends and a roof over my head was so miserable." I scoffed.

"But the only friend you care about wasn't there. Your family was broken. The house was small and you could barely get any privacy." Death pointed out.

I fell silent for a moment, "Don't bring her up. Don't bring that up. I don't want to talk about her."

Out of thin air, Death makes a file appear in his icy, pale hand, "Full name: Isabella Andria Berkshire, nicknames: Izzy or Iz, daughter of Liam and Andria Berkshire, died when she was 15, drowned in a ocean at a party. Dated Thomas, or Tom Rind for 8 months. She's been in Asphodel for the past year."

"Shut up!" I yelled, feeling the guilt swell up inside me.

"She was at that party for your birthday. She wanted to surprise you. You blame yourself for what happened, don't you?" Death chided, making me angrier.

"I don't want to talk about her!" I screamed, feeling the tears well up in my eyes.

"Then I guess you don't want to see her."

****

A/N

Sorry if this isn't the best. Let me know anything I can do to make it better!

Thanks for reading!