•03•

It felt as if I was falling. The ground vanished beneath my feet, making me squeeze my eyes shut in fear. I felt my grip around Death's arm tighten instinctively. I pressed my lips together tightly to hold back my screams.

The man, or Death, only laughed at my reaction. A deep, full laugh.

After what seemed like an eternity or falling into an abyss, my feet finally landed on a hard surface.

Black floor. Black walls. Black curtains, black tables, black chairs, black table-mats, black, unlit candles, black everything. Just black. Everything was black.

A gothic chandelier hung from the ceiling, unlit like all lights in the castle. At the end of the long, dining table sat a large chair, much larger than the others. It looked like a throne. It probably was actually, for the man who brought me here.

"Would you like to see your quarters?" Death asked.

"The dead get quarters in Death's palace?" I cocked my head, wondering if there were enough rooms for everyone who ever died in this palace.

"Oh, no. The dead live in the three sections. Tartarus, Asphodel Meadows, Elysium." Death explained, "Elysium is for the good. Those who lived good lives get rewarded with going to Elysium. It's a paradise. Asphodel is for those who lived neither good nor bad lives. They did things both good and bad. The meadows are decent, but they're all alone. All they do is walk in the fields, unable to do anything except ponder their own lives. And Tartarus..."

"For those who were evil?" I guessed.

"Correct. Those in Tartarus are punished for their crimes. Then they get sent into the River Phlegethon after a fair amount of punishment has been inflicted." he paused, "I want you to do something for me."

"Do I have a choice?" I asked.

At this, Death smiled slightly, "No, I suppose you don't. If you don't do as I ask...well, you know what happens then."

I nodded, shuddering at the knowledge that whatever he would do to punish me would be worse than anything I have ever endured.

"I want you to never go near Tartarus. Ever. If you're seen there...the punishers might think you're one of the punished and inflict punishment upon you. Or the punished might hurt you. Just promise you won't go near Tartarus." Death ordered.

"Okay." I responded, not knowing why he cared so much, but was too afraid to ask, "I have a question."

"Then I'll try my best to answer." he responded.

"Why do I get to live in the castle when the others live in the other sections?" I asked.

At this, Death paused before answering, "Because you're not dead. I decided not to kill you, so you're still technically living. My servants usually stay with me in the castle so they're always at my disposal."

"Okay." I responded, "I have another question."

"Just got here and you're already making the requests?" Death jokes, "Well, ask away, my queen."

"Queen?" I repeated, confused.

"Because you're making the orders." Death explained.

"Okay then, I guess." I responded, then asked, "If I had died, where would I have gone?"

Death pondered this for a moment, "Probably Asphodel. But that's if the judges were handling it."

"Who else would handle it...?" I pondered aloud.

"I would. I deal with the...special cases." Death smirked down at me.

I looked at him, taking in each and every feature of his face. He was tall, much taller than me. He had completely clear skin, the same tone of pale covering all over his face. His eyes held many conflicting emotion, too many to name. He has sharp features, with a strong jaw that make him look as if he could snap you in half with one bite. His eyes were completely black, holding the slightest brown tint in them.

He looked absolutely perfect. Almost out of a dream. Any female would go insane for him. His beautiful eyes, his perfect hair, his flawless features, his rough lips.

But it was different than I expected. I didn't only think he was handsome, but I was completely and utterly drawn to him. I couldn't take my eyes off him once they saw him. I physically couldn't look away. There was something about him. Not his eyes, not his hair, not even his lips. It was something deeper than that. Something I couldn't express into words.

Drawn back to reality, I pulled my eyes away once I felt as if I was staring for too long.

He seemed to notice this as he smirked at me and held my waist, "Do you think I look handsome?" the words were whispered in my ear softly, tickling my skin.

"N-no..." I stuttered, feeling my cheeks glow red.

Something flickered in his eyes, before he bit my ear lightly, "Don't lie to me, darling. That'll only get you punished."

"Ok-okay..." I choked out, shivering slightly.

"That's a good girl." Death muttered in my ear.

****

A/N:

I changed this, so please reread! I'm making a few alterations to what I had, so let me know if there are any hiccups.

Thank you!