Premiere Huntsman [Chap. 5]

I held the trigger down until it stopped firing.

Even after, I plunged my finger on the trigger a few more times before giving up. My hands felt clammy, and I had a lump in my throat as I realized how little effect the entirety of that magazine had on my new opponent. There was no panic, no hesitation or running. Instead, I watched his aura flare to life against each impact, defending him well enough that he didn't even flinch.

"HA! You'll need a bigger caliber than that..." I could hear the savage smile under his mask.

I stepped back, letting the rifle fall and catch itself with the strap around my shoulder. My eyes narrowed on my opponent as I studied him. The White Fang had a dark complexion, and he wore a sleeveless garb like the last, only with a high-collared white vest which had a long tail. A pair of steel guards covered his forearms, and his left arm was covered in a sprawling tattoo. I stared at the odd mask he wore, noticing how it was unlike the other Fang I'd encountered.

'Based on that creepy bug mask... he's different than the others.' I thought nervously to myself. 'As if the giant chainsaw didn't say that already!'

"COME HERE!"

My thoughts were cut off when I flinched at his shout. The chainsaw let out a chugging rev as the giant charged me. I brought up Crocea Mors, but it was as if I blinked and he was there. The man reeled back and swung his weapon at me laterally. I just managed to bring up my shield, and I heard metal teeth scraping against it before I was sent skidding back from the force. I grunted, somehow regaining my balance before I lost my footing as I was sent two feet from him.

"I've grown since the little Schee escaped me..." He spat lowly, his motor idling. He stepped forward and pointed the chained blade behind him. "You little 'huntsmen' should be nothing to me now."

I bristled at his insult, both to myself and a friend. I readjusted, planting my feet and tensing my shoulders with both my weapons at the ready, and a scowl directed at him. He simply laughed just before leaping towards me with his leading foot, sending a cross-body slash at me which I blocked without trouble. I watched his momentum carry the chainsaw upwards, and it revved as it came rocketing back down with an overhead swing. I held myself until the spinning blades were just close enough, then I slammed my shield forward into them as hard as possible. The weight caught the Fang off guard; he grunted as he stumbled back, and I took my chance.

I lunged at him with the tip of Crocea Mors. While his aura stopped him from being pierced, the hit to the ribs made him lose footing and he fell hard to his back. I breathed deep, then leapt above his prone figure.

He rolled backwards, and the tip of my sword planted itself in the dirt where he was before.

I clicked my tongue at the miss, but he growled and kicked towards my face. I raised my shield and blocked the paltry hit, but the tall White Fang used my block as a platform to flip back to his feet. I stood, ripping Crocea Mors from the soil and sliced it through the air at my side, sending particulate from the dirt flying.

"Get out of my way." I glared at him, voice coming out colder than I expected and sweat beading on my forehead. I'm on the time of a ticking clock, and I've already lost too much. "You're wasting my time."

"I wish you'd make me, human!" He may as well have growled at me, for how much derision was packed in those words. I felt my blood rising to the unspoken insult, and I followed his wishes.

I rushed the chainsaw wielding maniac, feigning a frontal hit before breaking off towards the opposing side of his weapon. As I slid by him, I gave him a glancing slash with my sword. I heard the wind rushing as I passed, knowing in my mind that he'd swung his weapon after me. I ran, putting distance into the courtyard before slinging myself back to face him. He was there behind me, of course, barely a foot away from me. Seeing him reeling back to swing once more, I decided to take advantage of him. I lunged forward, rocking him with my shield yet again, though this time following up with two broad swipes of my edge to his ribs and arms.