Chapter 44: A familiar voice (pt. 1)

Začať od začiatku

"He did it to survive." Anthony wouldn't have it. "He did it for the two of—"

A sinking feeling of horror grabbed him, and his breath escaped him again.

It hadn't been about him, or them. Not really. Lucius had made it clear. First and foremost, his goal had been to take over the power in town. Not the other way around.

He stifled a sob behind a shaky breath, unable to lean away as Damien removed a tear that had run down his cheek.

"He's not worth your tears, Anthony."

Anthony's eyes darkened, and he pushed the hand away.

"Perhaps not, but neither are you."

"I know you don't understand it, and that you resent me for what I've done..." Damien looked down at his rejected hand with a mournful frown. "... But despite what you think, I want you to be happy. It simply won't happen the way you're trying right now. You can't find joy the same way mortals do."

"I don't want happiness," Anthony growled through gritted teeth. "Not anymore."

"Anthony—"

"Why can't you just give it to me?" Anthony glared at his father, cold eyes eerily similar to his. "Do the right thing for once. Don't force your son to suffer like this just because you can't stand the idea of being alone."

Damien inhaled a silent breath.

"Everything I've done has been for my family."

A pitying laugh escaped Anthony's lips.

"And how did that turn out? Mother refused immortality, you've pushed Ethan away, and you've barely kept me alive out of desperation just to fill a void. So you won't have to acknowledge your failure." He leaned forward, lowering his voice into a hiss. "But you will one day. You'll realise you've pushed away the one son who wanted to remain in this world, and by your side. You'll realise that the useless pursuit of supernatural people— Innocent people— is an irredeemable crime you've committed in the name of an Archon you don't even believe in. That your soul can't enter The Unity nor The Waste anymore. You will realise—"

"Anthony."

"— That you sacrificed yourself to eternity for nothing."

"That's enough." Damien turned his head away, frown deepening. "I've accepted that you're angry, and I've come to terms with your contempt, but that won't change my mind. Whether or not you see me as family anymore, I cannot allow your suffering to continue."

"So give me—"

"We'll start over," Damien interrupted. "Again."

Anthony shook his head.

"You can't stop my pain this way."

"I know I can," Damien insisted. "But you need to let me."

Tiredness weighed Anthony down. It wasn't unusual, but a bother nonetheless. He was so tired of it all.

"... What about Lucius?"

Damien closed his eyes with a low sigh.

"He blew up our organisation. Everything we've built. He killed over a hundred people, and he tried to kill me, Derek, and Catherine as well. You can't justify me letting him live."

"I can, because I want him to."

"That's not good enough."

Anthony fell into silence again before giving the room a slow, grieving glance.

"... And if I leave?"

Damien stared at him, trying to read his face.

"Why would you—"

"You wanted to send me away. Probably to remove me from everything going on here, so... I'll go." Anthony locked eyes with Damien. "On the condition that you leave Lucius alone."

Damien stood in dumbfounded silence again, and Anthony took the liberty to continue.

"I will do what you ask me to. I'll help gather up people to restore The BBT if you want, but you won't hurt him in any way. You will not interfere with his life in a way that could harm him. You're going to leave Lucia alone and never try to reveal that secret again, and should it ever come to it, you will pull him out of danger if you can."

"Why him?" Damien shook his head. "Why would you leave for his sake? He would cause you nothing but grief."

"I'm the one who's caused enough pain to those I've loved." Anthony gritted his teeth. "If it's me or him, I'd rather be the one to disappear. I won't have any more people I care about suffer because of me."

"So send him away." Damien scrunched up his nose. "He doesn't deserve it, but I'd rather see him alive and gone than you not being here."

Anthony looked down at his knees.

"He's not leaving. Much like someone else I know, this town means more to him than I do."

"And you'll give up your life here for someone like that?"

"Wouldn't be the first time." Anthony narrowed his eyes. "And this isn't about my well-being anymore."

"No." Damien shook his head again. "This isn't right. We just need to get rid of him, and we can go back to how it used to be."

"But I won't let that happen." Anthony clenched his fists as he stared into the cold fireplace. "So if you won't let us be together, I'll leave regardless. Even if you kill him."

"You're being ridiculous."

"The difference would be that if you kill him, I won't be coming back."

Damien did not look convinced.

"Of course you would."

"You're not giving me my painting anyway, so why would I?" Anthony's mouth twitched. "And I assure you, if I find out you've killed him after I'm gone, I will make sure you never find me again. Even if I have to tie a rock around my body and jump in the ocean."

Damien laughed, but it was not as confident as he would have wanted it to be.

"You're not serious."

"Want to try me?"

There was no reply, and Anthony let out a deep sigh.

"For once, be just the slightest part of who you used to be and do the right thing."

Silence filled the room again as cold, stubborn glares refused to look away from the other, until Damien decided to break it.

"How can I be certain you won't end up in more mortal misery when you're gone?"

"Give me enough work to prevent it." Anthony shrugged. "Maybe even away from people."

The inner turmoil in Damien's head was obvious, yet he kept a straight face to the end.

"And you'll stay away until he's gone?"

"By natural causes, yes."

"You realise he's put himself in life threatening danger a handful of times in just one year?"

"But he's also survived every time."

With that, Damien closed his eyes in resignation.

"Very well, then. Throw your life away."

"A very short amount of life, considering," Anthony said gravely. "Just let me grab some things and... Say goodbye to the others."

Damien gave him a sorrowful look before slowly embracing him.

"He'll only try to manipulate you again," he whispered, somehow sounding genuinely convincing. "So, no. You leave immediately."