Chapter 27: Among normal people (pt 1)

It proved unbecomingly difficult for Lucius to stifle his smug grin as the council meeting came to an end. Whether or not he'd managed to deceive them all or if they saw through him but genuinely found his ideas agreeable, it was a solid win. Even Bezek had taken his side in the end.

"I don't know about you two, but I think that went well." He twisted his mouth's attempt at smugness into a composed smile, and looked over his shoulder at Bahman.

"It is... Certainly a surprise," Bahman admitted, eyebrows still arched from the meeting as if someone had glued them there. "No disrespect of course, but I don't believe you've been oblivious to their previously icy behaviour."

"Of course not." Lucius' voice turned dry. "The older Lord Hargreaves made sure of that."

"Well..." Bahman grimaced. "... Have you reached a decision yet? Regarding his offer?"

It was hard to stare a man down while walking in front of him, but Lucius did his best.

"Do you think I should marry him?"

"All I'm saying is that you don't want him on the opposite side." Bahman raised his hands in defence. "Winning over the council is one thing, but the BBT spreads further than that."

"Then I'll just reach even further." Lucius shrugged, smugness almost returning, so he turned to look ahead again. "You do know Lord Clausson is attending the feast of healing, right?"

"I would not get my hopes up there." Bahman's grimace was obvious even without Lucius seeing it. "Lord Clausson is very particular about who he trusts."

"And with every right." Lucius nodded, remembering Frey's concerns with the trade.

He had looked into it already, of course, but it was hard to track with such an old, established organisation full of people like Damien. Decreasing and increasing different parts of the trade until one stood out was a slow method, but the best option for a constantly scrutinised Lucia.

"I think we share some common grounds," he added before reaching the door to his office. "Like humanity."

"A radical concept in South Kerilia, unfortunately." Bahman smiled, as though it was a laughing matter. "Best be careful or you'll ignite a revolution."

"I'd be happy to host one." Lucius tilted his head in consideration. "Assuming they spare me."

Bahman opened his mouth, but hesitated, and finally shut it again.

"I will see you later then," Lucius ended the conversation with a brief nod and entered his office.

"So?" Anthony asked as soon as Lucius closed the door, leaning against the writing desk and wearing a curious look on his face. "You're not dead, so it can't have gone worse than other times."

Lucius brightened up again, and stepped over to give him an enthusiastic hug.

"They agreed," he whispered into Anthony's shoulder, unable to stop grinning. "They're letting me do all of it!"

"See?" Anthony gently grabbed Lucius' shoulders to interrupt their embrace. "You can do this. On your own, without Damien, or bratty children."

"Perhaps without them, but one successful meeting and acceptable decision-making still required two weeks and constant tutoring from you." Lucius frowned at the distance between them. "Saying I can do it on my own is still an exaggeration."

"It's a big responsibility." Anthony backed away to look him in the eyes instead. "You're making great progress, considering the way people acted around you before, and how little you knew about the position before claiming it."