Chapter 2

I walk back into the cave and my sister appears before me when I want to open my hallow.

‘Our meals escaped, you have to share yours with me and dad sis.’ I growl at her.

‘I am willing to catch an other prey or share my berries, but I won’t let you touch that boy. He is mine and I will keep him alive for now. You never lived among them, but I was raised a witch for the first few years of my life. I was always interest in them after coming here and could never eat them. Being a witch is still part of who I am, I won’t hurt them if I don’t have too. I don’t know why or what, but that boy makes something lose in me. He attracts me. I love his green hair, his beautiful golden eyes and his amazing scent. I don’t feel like meat today, but I will hunt for you if you leave my witch alone.’ She growls at me, and our dad breaks us apart.

‘I will hunt some small beasts to eat and bring them home for diner. Starfall the boy is hers, leave him alone. If he becomes a treat I will kill him myself.’ My sister and dad walk away now.

The moment I am sure they are gone I open the hallow and close it as soon as I get in. The boy is still shivering in the corner. I change back and start making our diner. ‘The others escaped. They are safe. Please stop shaking, I really won’t hurt you. I have no desire to eat you or make you suffer. I want you to be my friend. I just don’t want to be alone anymore.’ I look sadly at the flames dancing before my eyes. Then I remove the goop from his skin and move away from him. Sitting close to him makes his fear only worse.

‘I really don’t know what to do to make you at ease, but please call me Starlight and ask anything that you like to know.’ The boy looks at me still shaking but than swallows and open his mouth. ‘Why don’t you just talk to other witches? Why kidnap me? In this form no one will know that you're a beast.’ I sign.

‘I’m scared to see my mother if ever go into town or that I got locked up. My magic is not like any other magic and it also much more powerful. I have more trouble controlling how much power I put in than in doing something new with magic. Also not all witches are good. They will hate me or try to use me for evil and I can’t always control my beast form. I was five when I become beast and started to live here. My instincts are strong. I will transform if I ever feel threatened. If that happens the hunt will never stop. You saw me and my sister, we are nothing like normal Slitherbeast. Our dad is big and round. Our body is shaped more like a blood pear. We are a little bit bigger and a lot stronger than him even tough he is an adult, and we are teens. Our claws are gold, not purple and much harder than his. I am lucky to have blue eyes, but my sister has green eyes, even in beast form. Other witches would try to capture us, and most beasts don’t like things that are different. That is why we most stay hidden. At night we can go out because the change of witches coming here at that time are slim. My dad is very territorial and very strong so other beasts don’t come here. We can only go out of the territory to hunt with him, but never alone. They stars are our only friends, just like the moon, but they almost never talk back to us. They sometimes talk to Starfall, but after their blessing they never talked to me. My family loves me, but they don’t get me. I can’t help it,I feel lonely, and my greatest fear is to end up all alone again. My mother left me here to die after she found out I can’t do magic, because I’m half human. She left my sister here as a baby because she looks like one. I was scared and alone for hours until the stars took pity on me. They blessed me and then showed me the way to my dad and sister. That is how I end up here. I am loved now, but also scared to lose it all and still feel like I don’t fit in with them.’ Tears run down my cheeks after those words.

The boy has stopped shaking and puts his arms around me. ‘I know how you feel. My mom does not care about me either. If my sister and where not as gifted as we are I think she would hate us and abandon us just like your mother did. Blights needs to be powerful and perfect. Emira and I rebel by pulling pranks and breaking rules, but my mother does not even notice. Our dad is to busy with his work to even talk to us and even tough I have my twin, I often feel alone. Ever time I try to help her she does not take me seriously or I mess it up. I feel useless a lot of the time. I love my sister, but I always knew she was the better twin, when she does not need me anymore I will and up alone.’ Tears run down his eyes, and I pull him closer.

At that moment some weird smoke appears and they boy’s appearing change. His hair becomes longer, and they are hold back by a black hairband. He is wearing glasses and he has some small hairs on his upper lip. His warm clothes stay the same, but his posture becomes much more relaxed and natural.  He looks at me in fear.

‘Don’t look at me, I am hideous.’ I though the hairs on his lip carefully. It stings a little and the ends are some what sharp.

‘I am not a fan of those, they sting, but other than that you are still gorgeous boy. If you really hate it, I can fix your eyes, so you don’t need glasses anymore.’

‘Can you also fix this? I don’t like them either. I just forget to shave this morning. I don’t like doing it, but I have to ever day. My hair grows really fast as you can see.’ He points at his head. I smile. I touch his cheek and the hairs disappear. He takes of his glasses and smile.

‘Thanks. I don’t hate wearing them, but it is nice that I can now see without them. He takes out the hairband and puts his hand through his long messy hair. I smile.

‘You are beautiful just the way you are boy.’ He smiles at my words.

‘My name is Edric, and you are not as bad as I thought Starlight.’ He runs his hand through my hair.

‘Also, you are very beautiful.’ I blush at his words and don’t know what to say.