Chapter Sixteen: The Final Battle

The overwhelming scent of steel welcomed Si, Alicia, Jake, and the Doctor as they stepped out of the Doctor's TARDIS and into their destination: the Shatterdome hangar bay in Hong Kong. It had been forever since Si or Alicia stood among the titanic Jaegers stationed there. The last time either of them had was when they were in their past eleventh incarnation, from an accidental arrival brought on by the pacific rim rift.

"The face and body – and even gender – may be different, but the color's still the same," a commanding voice spoke from behind the team. Si and Alicia knew it right away as the voice of Stacker Pentecost. They turned to see the marshal, appearing much older and more seasoned than in their last trip, accompanied by an older Mako Mori, who looked to be a woman with more purpose, wearing an official uniform and a scowl that was far more intimidating than her adopted father's.

 They turned to see the marshal, appearing much older and more seasoned than in their last trip, accompanied by an older Mako Mori, who looked to be a woman with more purpose, wearing an official uniform and a scowl that was far more intimidating ...

Alicia realized that he was specifically addressing her in his statement. "Yep, I'm just as black as last time," she joshed.

Pentecost shook his head. "Hard to believe I'm staring at the same alien I nearly banished from the Shatterdome, all those years ago." His sights then set on Si, and he inquired, "I take it this is another version of your father?"

Si tried not to take too much offense from the mistaken identity. "Hardly."

Alicia restrained a chuckle. "She's me also. My future self." Looking past the marshal, she gave a friendly wave to Mako. "How's it going, Mako? How've you and Raleigh been?"

"Things have been good." Alicia's greeting managed to break through Mako's stoicism, a smile developing on the middle-aged Japanese woman's face. "The kids have been a handful. Whenever they are, we send them to their grandfather."

"And I have quite the time, telling old Jaeger stories," Stacker beamed.

"Awwww!!!" Si and Alicia gushed.

Clearing his throat, the marshal brought things back to business. "Jake brought us up to speed on the latest, regarding the Cthulhu situation. We have fresh new Jaegers ready for deployment, piloted by our new cadets." He led them to where a group of young men and women were gathered. One by one, Stacker introduced them, "Amara Namani, Nathan Lambert, Jinhai Ou-Yang, Suresh, Viktoriya, Ryoichi Hatayama, Renata, and Ilya."

Si nodded in approval of the cadets, most of whom looked younger than she physically did. "What about Godzilla?" she queried.

"He's waiting along the rift," Mako replied.

"But there's someone else you all should meet," the marshal added. "Another visitor, like Godzilla, that we received while Jake and the Doctor were away."

"Who?" Alicia asked.

"Follow me and I'll show you."

They did as the marshal directed and follow him out of the warm hangar bay and into the cold, rainy night towards the helipad. Through the rain and the darkness, they perceived a colossal shape sitting along the helipad, making it look smaller in comparison, in spite of its spacious design.