🫁

No one would ever think that discovery of giants will be a great thing. People were used to the conception of stupid, man-eating and heartless monsters. So when they saw that giants were sweet, gentle and genuinely excited to live with humans, it was a shock for everyone.

Unfortunately, people started to abuse giants' kind nature. At first, humans intended on preparing some rights for giants. But when they discovered that giants were following orders mindlessly, like robots, they ditched that idea and began to treat large beings as animals, maybe even worse, since animals had rights and giants didn't.

People began to exploit giants in every way possible. They forced large beings to work construction for them, to be exhibited in zoos and parks, to work on the fields, and much more. But the worst fate met giants who were meant for vivisection for med students. Since giants had an identical anatomy as humans, soon-to-be doctors were using giants to learn about tissue, cells and organs.

It was better than autopsy of a human body, since giants' cells were huge and students could see them with the naked eye. It was an effective way to truly learn human's anatomy.

One med student, named Bianca, didn't agree with the way they used giants. After classes, she was working as a giantkeeper, to earn money for living.

Giants were kept separately in large cages, with trough and drinking bowl. They didn't mind it though. Giants were easy to maintain, since they were omnivorous. Like, literally omnivorous. You could give them anything, they would devour it without hesitation.

Bianca loved her job. Growing up in abusive and neglectful family, it made her touch-starved and desiring for love. And it was something giants were happy to give her.

Each time she entered giants' hall, they were acting like overgrown puppies at the sight of her. They were reaching their hands out to her and were beyond ecstatic, when she was already in their cages.

They loved to hug her, pet her, kiss her and more. They loved her so much, that sometimes when she was in one giant's cage for too long, other giants were knocking on the bars of their cages, as they were getting jealous. All giants treated her like their own.

But there was one giant that got extra credit from Bianca, since he was her best friend. Mason.

From what she heard, Mason was born in captivity. He was the first giant she took care of and he won her heart over. He was gentle and a true sweetheart, he always showered Bianca in kisses and cuddles, whenever she came to his cage. He would probably talk with her too, if it wasn't for the shock collar, which was activated whenever giants spoke.

Thanks to him, she learned about the true nature of giants and devoted herself to help these large beings to gain the rights equal to humans' ones.

Unfortunately, little people supported her in that. They were mainly the keepers of giants, who knew about them more than anybody. Everyone else was convinced that giants are just mindless, but loyal creatures, who don't need more than they already have. Which wasn't true, of course.

Giantkeepers once "borrowed" an university giant and went with him to the main square, where they tried to persuade people that giants were like humans, just bigger. Their little protest got quickly shut down, when people criticized them and called the relevant authorities. Bianca almost got expelled that day.

But it didn't discourage her. She was active in social media, posting many videos of giants she recorded during her work, updating her blog about giants' behavior she observed, offering educational classes for kids, to help them understand that giants have their own personalities too.

She was told so many times not to get too attached to giants, since it'll make her heartbroken one day.

She didn't predict how soon it would happen.

***

Bianca tried to get away from other med students, who were excited for the vivisection. For her it was cruel, to take the life of alive giant, without any anesthesia. It was her first (and hopefully last) vivisection, she didn't want to attend it, but had to, if she wanted to continue studying. 

Professors asked students to be quiet now and then asked assistants to bring the giant in. Bianca covered her mouth with hand, seeing who was going under the knife.

Mason.

He was tied to the mobile platform, completely naked. He didn't know what was going on, but still managed to smile at the sight of the humans.

Professors then turned on the big claw machine with knife and started to cut his dermal layer. Giant squirmed a little, but didn't scream in pain, though he didn't have his collar anymore.

Mason noticed Bianca among people. When her eyes locked in his, she was sure he hated her in that moment. But she hadn't predicted that he would say:

- It's okay Bianca. Don't blame yourself. I love you, I always did.

He then went silent, as they proceed to cut his vocal cords.

Bianca couldn't look at it. Her best friend was being used as "study aid" and there was nothing she could to stop it. She was so focused on her tears, she didn't listen to professors who were explaining the anatomy of each organ.

After that, professors asked students to come to the giant, so they can cut little pieces of each organ and see the cells. It was too much for her. Without thinking, she stormed out of the class and headed towards the giants' hall.

Giants were very happy to see Bianca so early, but their mood quickly changed, when they saw her in tears.

She leaned against a cage and then slid down, hiding her face in her knees. The giant in the cage she was sitting against tried to pull her into the cage, but she couldn't fit through the gap between the bars. So instead he poked his finger through the gap and began to gently caress her back. Giant from the opposite cage took some food from his trough and offered it to the girl, hoping it'll lighten her up as always.

She looked at each giant. They were looking at her with sympathy, but also were little frustrated that they couldn't cheer her up, being locked in their cages.

Why were people so blind? They wanted giants to have rights at first, so what went wrong?

She walked up to the pulpit and pressing a button, she opened all cages at the same time. Giants crawled out of their cages and immediately were by girl's side. One giant hugged her to his chest, others were petting her and making comforting sounds to soothe her.

Bianca was devastated, but couldn't give up fighting for them. They were her second family, they never expected anything in return for their kindness.

It's was high time to pay for their love. And med student even came up with an idea. If it doesn't persuade people, then nothing will.