The First Date (Part 1)

I made my way anxiously into my local town on Main Street to find parking near The Wooden Squirrel.

This would be our meetup place for our first date and I was absolutely wrecked with nerves. I've been here many times before but this time was different. It's been ages since I've been on a date of any kind so to have this sort of pressure added to the mix wasn't helping even knowing that it was just lunch.

It was just lunch... with a guy I've barely known my whole adult life.

Even when hearing from a lot of local family and friends that he's this sweetheart, kind, friendly, and overall amazing guy, I still wasn't sure what to think. I mean, he was engaged. So what happened?

I parallel parked my car a couple of buildings over and checked my time: 12:46pm.

A bit early, but it should be fine, right? I'm not THAT nervous, I thought.

Yeah right.

Walking inside, I saw it was pretty calm and empty with only a few tables filled with people. I must have missed the brunch rush, which was good since I'd get the best seats in the house, or outside the house. Usually this place has the best outdoor seating so I made my way to the patio area in the back. There was no Alex in sight, of course, so I opted to order a cappuccino for the wait.

Suddenly, a text came through.

———————————————

Sat, Oct 22, 12:58 pm

Hey Red!
Sorry I might be a few min late 🥺
Im on my way tho!
Just 15min out!

Hey Red!Sorry I might be a few min late 🥺Im on my way tho! Just 15min out!

———————————————

I smiled at his picture. Such a cutie he was, calling me by my new nickname and all. It's not like anyone hasn't ever called me some form of ginger-related name but 'Red' was just so damn cute, especially coming from him.

I stared at his pic for a moment and couldn't help being so attracted to him. I mean, he even takes the time to let me know he'd be late. Since, you know, no big deal. It's not like I was already here for 15mins freaking out. What's another 15? But this wasn't usual for me. I wasn't use to this sort of communication coming from him... er, well, any guy, really. Was that weird? Probably.

———————————————

No worries!
I'll be on the patio waiting
with a coffee ☺️

No worries! I'll be on the patio waiting with a coffee ☺️