43: Close at Heart

Start from the beginning

Mara ignored the sting in her eyes, blinking away the blurriness and pursing her trembling lips. It was obvious that she missed him just as much, even a blind idiot could see it.

The next time he came up to her hurt a lot worse than the first. It was the next day, and Mara was there again to feed the horses. A part of her wished that he would talk to her again, just to hear his voice and see his face. Even if she didn't speak or make or eye contact, she missed even the mere presence of him. Of course, she wouldn't say that, nor would she show it.

"I'll help you," he suddenly appeared from behind her, causing her to slightly jump in surprise. He lightly chuckled, but at the sight of her stoic face he grew solemn once more. She didn't say anything, letting him help as she fed one horse. He fed them so slowly, constantly glancing over to Mara as if taking long would give him more time with her. She caught on quickly, feeding the next and brushing their mane.

Before she could leave, he blocked her in again, a worried look on his face as he nervously stumbled over his words. She looked over his shoulder as she waited for him to say anything, but his words seemed to get caught in his throat. Jungkook gulped, his eyes glossing over and his lips trembling. He looked so heartbroken and distressed, unable to mutter a single word.

Mara wanted more than ever to wrap her arms around him, to talk and say what she felt and let him speak his truth, but she couldn't bring herself to do it, no matter how badly she wanted to. Jungkook seemed embarrassed, turning on his heels and walking away hastily. He scratched the back of his neck awkwardly, and she watched him leave her peripheral vision, disappearing back inside the lodge never to be seen for the rest of the day.

And then the next day, God, the next day. She had made it a conscious habit of always feeding the horses, even though it had always been Jungkook's chore. She knew she wanted to see him again, and again and again every day even though she was angry. She just couldn't bring herself to speak, no matter how much Jin beckoned her to say something, anything.

She had turned around to find Jungkook, the red tint on his cheeks exposing his timidity and nervousness. That day he seemed a bit more composed, biting his lip as he drew closer to her. She doesn't know why she stopped to give him her attention, but he acknowledged this and took advantage, stepping closer until they were less than a foot away. His eyes were hard to look away from, so the girl avoided even a mere glance. When feeling his hand brush her hair behind her ear, she froze in place. His hands were gentle, and he smiled as he pulled away, his eyes fondly looking at her.

"I'm going to bother you every day, whether you like it or not," he softly spoke, "I won't force you to talk to me, but I will be here when you decide to."

He left her speechless—well, just as she had been—but in a heartfelt way. She felt her face grow hot, but she lightly slapped her cheeks and continued her chores as stoically as possible. She had gone throughout the day replaying that moment over and over, in a daydream she couldn't escape no matter how resentful she was. He was making it so hard to be mad at him, but she wouldn't give in, not yet. Throughout the day she would catch him staring, trying to hide his smile as he looked away shyly. It wasn't until Jin entered her room to bring her food that she knew why.

"Oh...you look lovely," he affectionately pinched her cheek. She gave a confused smile, nonetheless squeezing his hand as a thanks.

"Where did you get it?" He asked.

Mara cluelessly blinked, staring up at Jin from where she sat in bed. He placed the bowl at her bedside table, waiting for her answer.