Chapter Eleven: European Parents

ADDISON

There seemed to be nothing fair or "exciting" about any of this. Mom said that it was a good idea to get to know Gustav's parents, so we were all going to dinner to meet them and get to know each other. I, on the other hand, did not want to sit at a table where my opinion meant little to anyone. I would rather be getting ice cream with Damian and Sarah; that's probably what they were doing now.

"Mother, do I have to go?" I asked her.

"Why wouldn't you?"

"I don't feel like I have much of a voice. Can't I just stay behind? This is kind of a "Celeste-problem"."

"But that doesn't mean you shouldn't be involved."

"I've literally never met his parents."

"Well, neither have I, so it's a surprise for both of us. Besides, why don't you want to go anyways?"

"Because my friends and I already planned to do something today."

"Since when did you become a social butterfly?"

"It was just Damian and Sarah Sahara," I muttered.

GUSTAV

"I know this is your first time meeting her mother..." I said.

"And? So? We meet hundreds of people, don't we, Marx?" The Director said.

"I know how you get around other people," I said.

"What? What do I do around other people?"

"You tend to be a little...repugnant...is all."

"I'm what?"

"Repugnant! Adjective. Extremely distasteful, unacceptable or in conflict with, incompatible," Marx said, reading from the dictionary.

"...or given to stubborn resistance," I added. "I read that page as well."

"I know what repugnant means."

"All I'm saying is try not to make Celeste feel terrible about herself."

"I'm just saying, you and Celeste should've been a h*lluva lot more careful."

"Yes, we should have."

"Do you even know what it's like raising a child?"

"I raised myself when you went on those long trips to France. Does that count?"

The Director muttered something then he said, "No."

"I like the girl. She's not that bad," Marx said. "You on the other hand..."

"What about me?!" I exclaimed.

"You've got a temper, and that spunk of yours needs to be controlled."

"What are you going to do? Send me to boarding school?"

"See, Adele?! That's what I was saying!"

"I like it. Keeps him out of trouble."

"It's going to get him into trouble."

"Gustav, tell your father to shut up."

"Are you going to fight like this in public?" I asked, embarrassed that they couldn't even keep it together at home.

"That depends on what he says."

ADDISON

"Have you met Gustav's parents?" I asked. Mother told me that if I had nothing to do, then I could always check on Celeste, which I decided to do—because I had nothing to do.