Chapter Six: Math Lessons

It didn't seem like I was getting any better. The nausea was still there, obviously, but it always disappeared when I was around Gustav. Kayla kept it a secret, and therefore only she and Vanexa knew. I understood Zillion, Jack, and Spam were very nice people. I loved to be around them, too. However it was more like a "sisters before misters" thing.

The new school schedule was just as strange, too. The classes were (of course) math, science, ELA, social studies, and languages. However all of those (excluding ELA) were divided into other areas. In math, you either took Trigonometry, Geometry, or Calculus. In science, you either took physics, biology, or earth science. In social studies, you could take European History (which I was obviously in), Politics, or Social Studies (which was just learning about culture and people). You had a variety of languages to choose from, so we were given more freedom on that. You could take Spanish, French, Latin, Japanese, or German. I heard rumors that they were thinking of adding Chinese and possibly Russian, but I wondered when anybody would actually need to speak Russian.

After we all had ELA with Mr. Perci, we split up and went to our separate classes. I had science right after ELA, and then I had math. I always hated math. Maybe not all my life, but there was something about our professor that made me wish it didn't exist. Every day, I waited for the call from the clinic that would confirm either my biggest fear or my biggest relief, but it never seemed to come. Eventually we ended up in September, and I began noticing a lot more changes.

I had trigonometry, and a test today which I spent four hours studying for. I had a hunch that I'd be able to ace it. The teachers were really chill when it came to tests. Since we were seniors, I think they expected us not to cheat or pull any stupid moves, and none of us did. Most of were seventeen year olds, turning eighteen this year (except for Camilla), that didn't make us that stupid. Oh, wait a sec...we were still that stupid.

I had math with Spam, Phoenix, Tom, Jack, and other classmates with whom I'd had "iffy" relationships with. Fortunately, the test wasn't as difficult as we were all thinking it would be, but it was really long. A couple of us had finished, and the class was almost over. I was on the last question and had finally completed the equation. Feeling proud of myself, I flipped through the pages of the test to make sure all of the questions had been completed when suddenly my phone rang. I had forgotten to put it on silent. My brain was so cluttered this morning!

Eyes fell on me, and the room went quiet. Professor Thatcher stood up and walked over to me. With a height of a little over six feet, he easily towered over me.

"Oh, crap," I muttered under my breath.

"Miss Chokshi, I thought we agreed that the policy was no phones during tests. What do you expect me to assume? That you're cheating?"

"Sir, I assure you, I wasn't cheating. I was just about done with the assessment-"

"-getting answers from friends I presume?"

"No! Of course not! I would never cheat, you know me-"

The other students looked less like they were about to burst out laughing, and more like they were sorry for me. We all had terrible experiences with Professor Thatcher.

"-I will be confiscating this," He said, cutting me off once more and sitting back at his desk. A small smile then spread on his face. "Actually...I think I have a better idea." My phone began ringing again. "You will get your phone back, though."

I sighed with relief, terrified that he would start going through it, but instead he did the next worse thing.

"Let's find out what happens in a young twelfth grader's life."

I prayed that this was a nightmare; a really long nightmare, and I'd be able to wake up, refreshed, and put my phone on silent mode. Professor Thatcher played the message, and the automated voice said the worst possible thing in the world.