Chapter Three: "Best Party Ever"

CELESTE

"Whatsapp, losers?!" Rusty said, barging through the doors of the library.

Kayla, Zill, Spam, Jack, Vanexa, and I usually met at the library on Fridays. The parking lot was clearer, and it allowed us to get our homework done. Since it was summer and we didn't have any homework, we just went to the library for the fun of it. Addi, Dame, and Sarah just so happened to be here. Addi was strangely into Greek mythology and all of that kind of stuff. Damian and Sarah's job was to keep his snake fetishes from being overindulged.

"SHH!" the librarian said quickly.

Rusty rolled his eyes. He, Max, Max, and Christine walked ahead and sat at the table where we were sitting.

"What'cha doin'? Reading?"

He began laughing and gestured for Max, Max, and Christine to laugh as well.

"We just talked with each other two weeks ago," Zill said.

"Yeah, but what does it matter? Anyways, I came here to tell you that my birthday is on the Fourth of July."

"Okay?" I said, returning my gaze to the book.

Rusty slapped it out of my hand.

"You've been invited to my birthday, nerds. That's like the best thing that could ever happen to you, and you respond by saying "okay?" Are you serious?"

"Well, what makes you think we wanna go?" Sarah asked, now bringing her friends into the conversation.

"Would you rather spend your Tuesday reading a book?"

I looked at Kayla and Zill.

"Did you want us to go?" Kayla asked.

"Nah, I don't really care. I invited everyone in the class. At least, everyone who has an email that I know about."

"So Autumn will be there?" Addison said, raising his eyebrows.

"Hey, shut up!"

"And Phoenix?" Sarah asked.

"And Mackenzie?" Zill said.

"Thorax?" Jack added.

"Hey, we were just suggesting people," I said. "You don't really like anyone."

"That's a lie!"

"Uhuh, sure," I said.

"What time is it?" Kayla asked.

"It starts at 10:00 PM. See you there." Rusty turned around. He, Max, Christine, and Max left.

"I've never been to a party this late," Addison said.

"We're seniors. We're legally allowed to do this, right?" Kayla said.

"Does anyone find it suspicious that Rusty out of all people decided to invite us in person?" Zill asked.

"Something tells me he's looking forward to screwing around with us."

"But we're still going, right?" I asked.

"Don't want him to be lonely, right?"

"Where are you off to?" Gustav asked as I was touching up my hair to leave.

"Nowhere," I lied, blushing immensely.

"You wouldn't straighten your hair if you were going nowhere."

"I might."

"Darling, I'm not stupid. You never wear earrings."

"You've caught me. I'm going to a party. It's Rusty's birthday, and he invited the whole class, so I'm going."