45| not the same

My heart beats so hard I could barely even concentrate

His hazel eyes aren't as bright as they used to be. His eyes held no emotion; they were dull, maybe even empty. My heart still had the same reaction it always had whenever August was around.

My heart pounded against my rib cage like it was trying to be let free. But my mind was racing.

Do I just say to forget it and leave?

This would be my luck. God, I want to just leave and go get a drink.

I swallowed the lump in my throat. My mom set me up for failure. She knew. Did she do this on purpose?

August had his hand in the pocket of his black pants. He still had the same glasses as before.

The pain in my chest started to form again. The guilt from all of the horrible things I said to him before

I wanted to come clean. I wanted to tell him that it was all because his grandpa blackmailed me into leaving.

But by the way he was looking at me, I don't think it would make a difference.

"Miss Fane." His voice held no emotion. I let out a breath and looked down at the floor for a second, trying to calm my nerves.

Shoving all my emotions deep down before looking back up. "Take a seat, Miss Fane." He pointed at the chair in front of his desk.

I quickly take a seat, smoothing out my clothes. It's so hard to breathe under his stare.

It's like I'm suffocating.

It was almost like I was being suffocated by the memories of the past. August quickly scribbled on pieces of paper before handing them to me.

"We'll go over everything on Thursday." He doesn't look up at me as he speaks.

"Read through everything and make sure everything is right." "August says as he pushes his glasses up, I nodded, unable to be sure that my voice wouldn't break when I tried to speak.

His voice deepened as he spoke. "I don't want there to be a miscommunication." His gaze snapped to me. His eyes hardened. I knew there was more meaning behind his words.

When I go to speak, I hear a knock, which is quickly followed by someone coming in.

"I brought you coffee, August." A high-pitched voice fills my ears. Turning my head slightly, my eye caught sight of a young woman. Her brown hair was put up in a tight bun.

She was beautiful. I couldn't deny that.

She walks over to August with a smile. My heart sinks to the pit of my stomach. My fist clenched tightly under the desk.

He nods, acknowledging her words, but he doesn't take his eyes off of me.

I could feel them burning into me. My eyes stay stuck on her. A sense of jealousy forms in my gut. I wanted to hate her for even getting close to him, but he wasn't mine.