37| listening

It's been a week since August and I went on the picnic date, and a week since we found that little boy at the park

It's been a week since August and I went on the picnic date, and a week since we found that little boy at the park. My mind keeps wandering back to that day. And what August was about to say.

"Are you ok?" Alyssa asked as she ate her chicken nuggets. Sav looked at me with a curious look. They look like parents right now.

Why does it feel like I'm being interrogated? "Yeah, why?" I looked between both of my best friends.

"I don't know, you just look..." Alyssa places a finger on her chin. Savanna leans closer as if she was looking for what Alyssa had seen. "In lo-" Alyssa interrupts Sav, jolting like the idea had just hit her in the head.

"In love." Sav throws her hands into the air and grumbles something under her breath. My heart stopped and my eyes widened. "What no!" My voice raised slightly as I panicked. Sav and Alyssa both gave me a look.

I can't be in love with him.

We're not even dating.

But we do act like we are.

"Impossible." I said, dismissing them. "On that topic." Seth says as he takes a seat next to me as he pops a couple of fries into his mouth. "Can you be in love with someone you're not dating?" I look over at Savanna.

She is curled up into a ball. Resting her head on her knees. She looks so tired nowadays. Dark circles were under her eyes.

"Are you–" I let out a sigh when Alyssa started speaking again. "Well, I guess wait, are you in love with someone." Alyssa's eyes widened slightly.

I looked over at Seth. His cheeks turned a deep shade of red. "N-no London is." He pointed at me with a panicked look.

What the hell.

I grew annoyed with this whole conversation. I stood up, placing my food on the small table in front of me.

"Where are you going?" Savanna's voice came out weak as she lazily looked up at me. "Going to go find Owen." I said, not missing the look on Seth's face when I mentioned Owen.

I grab my hoodie off of Alyssa's bed before throwing it on. Leaving Alyssa's dorm and making my way outside.

Going to the one place I know Owen will be. I climbed onto the wall that Owen was sitting on. "Hey Olaf." Owen's blue eyes sent daggers at me. "Don't call me that." I laughed at him, ignoring what he said.

Taking the cigarette out of his hand as I asked. "Why do you always sit in this spot?" I take in a drag, feeling the smoke fill my lungs.

"It's where I met her." He says as he stares out into the forest that surrounds the college.

Her?

"Right there." Owen pointed next to a large tree. A small, very small but sad smile forms on his lips.