40| donuts

I woke up with the light shining in my face

I woke up with the light shining in my face. I groan, covering my eyes to hide from the bright morning light.

I peek out from the darkness expecting to find August, but I don't. I look around the room in confusion.

I pushed the covers off of my body and pulled myself out of the comfortable bed. I quickly smoothed out my hair before opening the bedroom door.

The smell of bacon hits my nose, and the sound of laughter filled my ears.

I smile slightly at the nostalgic feeling and miss how my life used to be before I was taken to live with my mom.

walking down the step, skipping the one that makes a creaking noise. That stupid step used to always mess up my scares.

I remember always trying to scare my grandpa because he said it was impossible to scare him. So I made it my life's mission to scare him.

It never worked because of that stupid staircase.

Or because you stuck at scaring people.

Turning the corner to see August laughing at something my grandma said as he helped her cook.

My heart quickened in my chest just by hearing him laugh.

Looking around the messy kitchen. There is flour everywhere, mostly on August's clothes. I almost laughed but forced myself not to because I didn't want them to know I was there just yet.

"Those used to be the only things London would eat for breakfast." She pointed to the homemade donuts that August was making.

"Her dad would bring London over every morning before school because he knew I was making them for Armin." I smile at the memory

Flash back
7 years old

"Yes, we are going to get you donuts." My father said with a laugh. I closed the car door after I climbed into the front seat. Dad looked over at me with a look that I knew too well.

"You can't sit in the front."

"Please daddy." I begged, trying to give him the best puppy-dog eyes that I could. When I realized it wasn't working, I tried to think of something to say.

"It's only down the street." I reasoned with him. Knowing I won, he let out a sigh and shook his head, turning on the car.

The frost covers the window slightly. I watched the houses go by by the window.

I could see the kid getting on the bus. Luckily, I didn't have to ride the bus. I heard horrible things from kids in my class.

I heard that Billy, the school bully, had found a grasshopper and forced some kids to eat it. If that was me, I would probably cry.

Yeah, I would cry.

"Do you think it will snow soon?" I asked, turning to look at my dad. I could tell that he was trying to figure it out in his head.