36| Kid?

Staring down at her

Staring down at her. London's head rests on my lap. Her eyes closed as I ran my hand through her hair.

My heart pounds against my chest and my mind runs wild. Using my open hand to pull grass out of the ground as I try to think of how to ask her a simple question.

Why does everyone else make this look so easy? I question myself. Maybe I shouldn't

"What are you thinking about?" My heart skips a beat at the sound of her voice. I look down at her and I can't help the smile that makes its way to my lips. My mind is wiped blank just by looking at her.

Her brown eyes remind me of melted honey. I watch as her honey-colored eyes narrow at me and a confused smile takes over her full rosy lips.

"I was just thinking." I say slowly, worrying about how she will answer the question that I'm about to ask her. 

"Thinking about what?" I can hear the worry in her tone. London quickly sits up, facing me.

I bit the inside of my lip and looked down at my hands. Digging the nail of my pointer finger across the pad of my thumb: trying to control my anxiety.

"I.." I take in a breath before looking at London and continuing what I was going to say. "I want us..I want you to be my–" I stopped when I heard the sound of a little kid crying. I look around the small park until my eyes land on a little boy.

He is probably around 4 or 5. The small boy has dark brown fluffy hair. He looks around the park as though he is trying to find someone.

London quickly gets on her feet and walks in the direction of the little boy. His cries get louder the closer we get. "Are you alright?" London asked as she kneeled onto the floor in front of him.

He shook his head as he looked around the park. "It's ok, little one. I'm London."

He looked over at us with teary eyes. His brown eyes are red from all of the crying. "Hi." He said, through sniffles.

"I'm Atlas." The boy says as he wipes his cheeks. London gives him a sweet smile that makes my chest go all warm and fuzzy.

"I need my mommy. I-I cant find her." He looks around again in hopes of finding his mother.

London stood straight before holding her hand out to Atlas. "Me and August will help you look for her. Does that sound like a plan?" She asked softly. The boy nodded quickly as he took her hand.

Looking down at Atlas, trying to understand how someone loses their kid in the first place?

"How old are you, Atlas?" He looks up at me and I see that his nose and cheeks are still red from crying.

"I'm.."He pauses, lifting his free hand in the air and putting up four fingers. I could hear him mumbling numbers as he counted. "I am four." His voice is low and soft.