30

Alexi's pov:

"What's wrong?"

"Hm-nothing, everything is fine."

I lie. Again. I couldn't look at Alvin. I swear I refrain myself to glance at his broad chest. Why did he take off his suit jacket?

But he leans forward, shortening the distance between us. I swear I can hear his breath, and my eyes lock to his eyes. I can see a dissatisfaction on his face.

"What's wrong, Alexi?"

I realized my shoulders jumped a bit because of the shock.

Alvin asks again, his voice makes my heart pounds crazily. He called me Alexi! I miss it. I miss when he called me by that name.

Why did he sound like he's angry? Is this because I didn't keep my promise? Or is it something else?

"I'm sorry...I was just not feeling well. I'm sorry, Alvin. But...it's fine now." I am stuttering and covering it with a smile.

I broke my concentration on his eye. I get myself busy with the cutlery again to stuff myself with the steak. Shit, I don't think I can eat this anymore.

I paused but eventually eat it. Damn! Is this the same steak this afternoon? I chew and still I feel pain as it passes my throat.

I can sense that Alvin is staring at me now. What should I do? I continue to act like I am slicing the steak. I never felt this awkward whenever I am with Alvin. But this kinda drives me crazy.

When I hear Alvin's sigh, I look at him. What now? His next words hurt me.

"That's it, I am done with this lousy dinner. This is fucking torture. I am out of here."

Why did he said that? He should just told me nicely right? Am I really wronged him very badly? My eyes are well up. He gets up and his hand takes his suit. I can't even look somewhere else, all I see is Alvin.

"Dinner's over. Good night, Miss Hayes."

Now, the way he addressed me like that again. I don't like it when he called me Miss Hayes. I can feel the distance that he put between us the moment he said that. Every time Alvin said it, we grew apart and I couldn't get closer.

I automatically stand as Alvin walked past me. Are we really ended like this? I was unable to lift my gaze when Alvin didn't even look in my direction.

But I look up when I realise Alvin is approaching slowly. My heart races and I feel slightly afraid of him when I see that expression he has on his face. I back away from him but I can't anymore the moment I touch the table. I get cold feet.

Alvin standstill and we're so close. I was too stunned. He raises his arms and it makes me turn sideways with eyes closed. But, he said.

"You're too exposed, cover up...Miss Hayes." Alvin wraps his suit jacket on me. It caught myself by surprise and I looked into his eyes. He is worrying about me right?

Alvin walk away leaving me. Every step he takes like a stomp to my chest and it makes me unable to breathe. I am still standing even after he disappears from my sight.

I finally back to reality when Bobby calls me. I slowly sit back down, my hands on my chest trying to breathe properly.

But then I am starting to remember all the things that Alvin said to me. I think we only sat there for about an hour, well if I left the part where I threw up. But all he said was nothing like what we had a conversation about before this.

'Only my family and friends get to call me by that name'. He said that. So, what am I to him? We will soon be married and I am not his family? We were not even friends? I thought we were friends.

Now we are strangers again?

I feel a hole start to fill up my heart.

*****

It's like Alexi is dragging herself into the house the moment she gets out of the car. Her mind is elsewhere. She doesn't even bother to pay attention to her surroundings anymore.

"Miss Alexi..." Bobby calls her. Alexi could hear it but she was too distracted and lost.

Alexi turns around by force when someone snatched her arm. But, all that she gets is a hard slap on her face. Her eyes widen as she look at Xander.

"You have one job. Only one! I plan all of it for you, all you have to do is to get him to like you. But you can't even do that?!"

Xander said angrily as he walked closer to Alexi. Alexi touched her cheek and there was hot blood on her lips. She steps back as she fears getting hit again. 

How did he know? Alexi turns to Bobby as she is asking for an explanation. But Bobby looked away. Did he told Xander?

"Are you trying to ruin everything?"

"I...I am sorry...it wasn't my fault. He-"

"Not your fault? If he likes you, he will never cancel the dinner tonight. That means you are not doing a good job for your parts. Is it really hard to seduce him?" Xander interrupts Alexi as his hand lingers on her face.

Alexi take a deep breath. She looks at Xander. Seduce? It's not her job to seduce someone whose Xander himself was planned to marry to her. Why did it become her fault?

"It's not my fault that he hates me. It's you who arranged everything, I told you I don't want to." Alexi reply slowly.

Xander smirks when he heard it. It was an evil one.

"Fine."

"There's will be no allowance for you from now own. We'll see how much longer you can survive without my money. You better get that man to like you if you wants something from me. Remember that..." Xander continues with a threat.

Xander leaves as he cursing something that Alexi cannot hear. She bet it about her.

Alexi just falls into silence. But it is true that all her fees and expenses was paid using Xander's money. So, now what? Does she need to start looking for a part time job?

Her eyes follow Xander who's getting into the backseat and Bobby closes the car door. They both just stand there until the car drives away. After a moment, Bobby slowly turns towards Alexi. His eyes fall to Alexi's face then to her lips.

Alexi just standstill and her slow breath sounds like a heavy sigh.

"You should get inside and put some ice on... it's starting to swell, Miss Alexi. I will bring the ointment to your room later..." Bobby said with a calm tone.

Alexi felt something is pressing her chest, adding to the emotions that Alvin gave her at the dinner. It's like adding oil to the fire. She is angry and feels betrayed, but it's all too much in one night that she is drained.

What's so supprise? Of course, Bobby works for Xander. He was paid to monitor her every movement and actions. It's her that keeps forgetting about that, thinking that Bobby is her people. He is not on her side from the beginning.

Alexi doesn't respond, she just walks away and enters the house.